Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs manual/clutch issues,

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S2 Ute Manual
So I just bought a cheap little 97 Vs Ute, the original owner claims it to be a factory 5, but i have my doubts.

So im having a few issues with the clutch/gearbox, and i'm a bush mechanic that has done quite a few backyard manual conversions with not a hitch.

So the clutch (what else could it be) is being very temperamental, some days i can drive it and have no trouble with the clutch at all, some days it just wont go into gear.

On its bad days (like today) i can fully depress the clutch and its like its doing nothing at all (clutch in and the revs stick up high when in gear)

I have bled it and it goes fine for a couple of days and shifts with ease, others days it just doesn't work, I can turn the car off and with a bit of room in front start it in gear.

Oh and side note, the rubber seal inside the master lid was perished and couldn't find another so far, currently using a brake one from super cheap that seems to do the same thing (this is after the clutch started) but it i think it might be building pressure up in it (dont know if this is a bad thing that it cant breathe).

My question is, what would be the most likely culprit,

1. The lid was the problem the whole time, and i should get a whole new master to get the lid (or second hand im open to a master and slave for $100)

2. The master has died and needs a reco/replace,

3. The slave has died and i should reco/replace it,

4. (and im hoping its not this) The clutch/throw out bearing/something inside is not aligned or not doing what it should or broken.

Also as having no money. I'm trying to keep this on the cheap side of things, As just bought a house.

Attachments

• Document1_Page_5_Image_0001.jpg
    Document1_Page_5_Image_0001.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 177
  • Document1_Page_4_Image_0001.jpg
    Document1_Page_4_Image_0001.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 224
  • Document1_Page_4_Image_0002.jpg
    Document1_Page_4_Image_0002.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 181
  • Document1_Page_2_Image_0001.jpg
    Document1_Page_2_Image_0001.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 198

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S2 Ute Manual
Ok, so I got sick of the stupid thing and spoke to the mechanics, he quoted me 600 for the replacement and labor of the master/slave setup.

On my way taking it there the clutch itself blew, so called the guys and they organised me a towie (for $80 which im pleased about)

Once the clutch is replaced they will check the hydraulics, so watch this space, hopefully i explain what happened and the easy fix.

thevman

Reaction score
Members Ride
94vr 3.8L man ute
Any word on the issue and how it needed to be solved?

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
Id just fit a new m/cyl, they are cheap as.

Does pulling the clutch pedal up with your foot help?