Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Manual Ute dramas

Moulis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore ute
I have recently bought a 1997, 5 speed ute. After 6 months it has developed this horrible knock behind the gearbox. I had a mate look at it for me and he has told me that there is a rubber boot that is missing/fallen off from the intermediate tailshaft/centre bearing? I have tried to find a replacement online and rang a few wreckers but no one seems to stock one. A wrecker today asked me if it was a cable or hydraulic clutch as there are 2 different gearboxes used for the VS manual. My question is how do I identify which gearbox I have and what is my best and least expensive option to repair it?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
The only difference between the auto and manual tailshafts is the yolk and possibly the length. Other than that, I can't see any good reason for Holden to be running a different centre bearing depending on the gearbox.

I would just replace the bearing and be done with it if that's the problem, they're not that expensive. Ebay has them starting at $30-$60. Buying one from the wrecker will probably be just as flogged out.

Moulis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore ute
The only difference between the auto and manual tailshafts is the yolk and possibly the length. Other than that, I can't see any good reason for Holden to be running a different centre bearing depending on the gearbox.

I would just replace the bearing and be done with it if that's the problem, they're not that expensive. Ebay has them starting at $30-$60. Buying one from the wrecker will probably be just as flogged out.
Cheers, bought the replacement centre bearing. Do you know of any tutorials online that can show me how to replace this bearing? I'm unsure of the best procedure. Thanks for your help.

Moulis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore ute
Cheers i bought the bearing. Do you know of any online tutorials explaining the process of replacing the centre bearing? Appreciate the help.

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S2 Ute Manual