Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS - no demister

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Hi guys
I have a series 3 Vs V8 ute and cannot get the demister to work! I have the shroud out and glovox and backing and can see the actuators all doing there job but the air is just not pushing through. I've tried 5 different heater controls. No joy. When on demister function, I can hear hissing from the controls, but not on any other setting and all other functions work well. heater tap opens and gets hot in cab. I've played with the little valve located under the core to no avail also. Any suggestions guys? I'm really stumped. Obviouly the hissing isnt ideal as my other commodores dont do it but i'm thinking its potentially not related to the controls as I have used one of the controllers I tired on the ute and stuck it in my wagon and it works perfectly in a different vehicle. thanks in advance

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
The hissing would be a vacuum leak and as such it would have to be the air direction not functioning correctly.

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
The hissing would be a vacuum leak and as such it would have to be the air direction not functioning correctly.
yeah i thought it was something obvious like that but i can take the controller that's hissing in this ute and put it straight into my wagon and it does not hiss. I've tried 5 controllers and all hiss. I can't really accept that 5 are stuffed. is there any way that a vac line is blocked and that air is forced out at the controller. when car is running and demister selected the black line is drawing - not sure if this is correct or which colour line does the demister thanks guys

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If it is the demister only not blowing, then that tube alone has probably come off somewhere.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
If it's still hissing with different controllers, then the problem could be a leaking vacuum hose.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
As BlackVXGTS has also suggested there's a vacuum leak but it's not at the controller because as you've suggested it couldn't be 5 faulty units in a row could it ?

Your problem will be elsewhere around the tubal vacuum system. It's just a matter of look and listen and then you'll eventually find it. It also maybe a leaking actuator.

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
i pulled everything apart and moved toggle and made sure everything opended and closed. even when the big flap closed behind glovebox, the air would not rish up to demister. I'm thinking I had a suss actuator but cannot see why the vac hissing noise would always be at the controller - I should stick to HQ - they don't get these advanced impossible to locate problems!!

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
I should stick to HQ - they don't get these advanced impossible to locate problems!!

Yep just massive amounts of rust to deal with instead I guess.

but in saying that, the more modern cars have quite complex HVAC systems installed which are a definite PITA to have to deal with if something goes wrong as is the case with what your dealing with.

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
As BlackVXGTS has also suggested there's a vacuum leak but it's not at the controller because as you've suggested it couldn't be 5 faulty units in a row could it ?

Your problem will be elsewhere around the tubal vacuum system. It's just a matter of look and listen and then you'll eventually find it. It also maybe a leaking actuator.
Isn't the failsafe position window demist with no vacuum? So I would think a flap is jammed.