Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs Noise and problems

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
ive been having a few problems with the vs ute.
these only happen when it is hot, and been driving around for a while.

1. when the car has been running for a while, (even without gear changing such as freeway driving) when i stop at lights/roundabout/etc and go to take off again it requires extra acceleration. if i use the same amount as normal a "shudder" shakes the whole car. and its only when its hot and taking off from a standstill.
ive been told it might be the pressure plate/flywheel but im putting it out there for your suggestions/solutions.

2. in similar circumstances (car having been driven for a while and its hot) i can hear a knocking noise which appears to be at the front of the car and on the lefthand side. when turning a corner this knock is more often and louder then the occasional sound heard when going in a straight line.
ive had a mechanic look at this when the car has been "cold" and he has found nothing (even up on a hoist etc).

and lastly.
the other day i was driving along in 5th for about 1hour or so. it was foggy and cold outside.
get to the end of the road. and go to change down gears. it comes out of 5th as normal. go to put it in 4th. it doesnt go in. same with all other gears. the clutch goes in but it came out "slowly".
it felt like the gearbox had frozen up.
eventually i did get it into 2nd at the lights, and after that it went back into all other gears.
ive been told if it happens again to "pump the clutch" a few times. but does anyone know what was going on?

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
check ther trans mount, it's probably shagged, engine mounts are probably on there way out also. the shudder on take off when pedaling it is quiet a common problem with the commodore or It sounds like the sway bar bushes,or the front suspension bushes.Get under and have a look around the swaybar bushes,if they look old,squashed and cracked,then they will most likely need replacing.If they are old and stuffed the suspension ones are likely be just as worn.

ive been having a few problems with the vs ute.
these only happen when it is hot, and been driving around for a while.

1. when the car has been running for a while, (even without gear changing such as freeway driving) when i stop at lights/roundabout/etc and go to take off again it requires extra acceleration. if i use the same amount as normal a "shudder" shakes the whole car. and its only when its hot and taking off from a standstill.
ive been told it might be the pressure plate/flywheel but im putting it out there for your suggestions/solutions.

2. in similar circumstances (car having been driven for a while and its hot) i can hear a knocking noise which appears to be at the front of the car and on the lefthand side. when turning a corner this knock is more often and louder then the occasional sound heard when going in a straight line.
ive had a mechanic look at this when the car has been "cold" and he has found nothing (even up on a hoist etc).
It sounds like the sway bar bushes,or the front suspension bushes.Get under and have a look around the swaybar bushes,if they look old,squashed and cracked,then they will most likely need replacing.If they are old and stuffed the suspension ones are likely be just as worn.

and lastly.
the other day i was driving along in 5th for about 1hour or so. it was foggy and cold outside.
get to the end of the road. and go to change down gears. it comes out of 5th as normal. go to put it in 4th. it doesnt go in. same with all other gears. the clutch goes in but it came out "slowly".
it felt like the gearbox had frozen up.
eventually i did get it into 2nd at the lights, and after that it went back into all other gears.
ive been told if it happens again to "pump the clutch" a few times. but does anyone know what was going on?[/QUOTE ] as for the gearbox) im not sure) goood luck with it....cheeeers

Last edited:

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
thanks for that mate. ill have a look at the weekend if i cant notice anything. into the mechanics after its started it will go

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
thanks for that mate. ill have a look at the weekend if i cant notice anything. into the mechanics after its started it will go

or link pins, you can get heavy duty ones off ebay fairly cheap and heaps stronger than the originals. I got some my self and they started making the exact noise your describing after about 2 weeks of installing them, just needed a little extra tightning as the rubbers had warn in

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Well i know this is Thread Digging, but so hoepfully someone in the future can Search for it.

as i have now finally had the problem solved.
1. the Clutch and Flywheel were the wrong ones to go in. and the clutch was absolutely rooted. (about to go aswell actually)
a Dual Mass Flywheel (floating Flywheel) and clutch to suit has to go into a stock v6 ecotec manual.
this is because a DMF cannot be machined. thus both have to be changed together.
if you ever look for one its code number is GMK-6994DMF by Exedy and is about $1600 for the kit.

and 2. the wheel had some fairly new tyres put on. well brand new.
and whoever did the balancing of them must have been half asleep as it isnt balanced correctly.
and they arent hard to balance. just put on the machine, then add weights, end of story (ive balanced wheels before)