Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs not starting. help pls=(

edwardos11

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
vs acclaim series 2
this morning i went to start my car. put the key in, turned to on position, all warning lights turned on (oil, engine, all the usual stuff) and tried to start the car via push buton switch i installed (never had any problems with it). as soon as i depressed the button, everything cut out. nothing was working at all. putting the key in and out, turning on acc and on had no affect, its like the main fuse had blown and cut everything out.

i checked all my fuses, none blown. checked engine relays, no problem. poked around with wiring in the bengine bay, no visible signs of a fault.

it seems like it cuts out for a period of time because after a length of time, everything operates as per usual, warning lights on when key is in on position, but as soon as i press the start button the same happens. everything cuts out and absolutely nothing works.

also, when everything operating normally, i can hear a high pitched ringing coming from the bay. i dunno if thats normal, but never noticed it b4.

help greatly appreciated. i cant live with out driving my car one day='(

cheers(Y)

ren11000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE A4
Try removing your battrey terminals, clean them and refit.

Devils_Thunder

Riding high...
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2010 Captiva.....
I had an intermittent problem in my old VS, everything came on like you said but it would not turn over. turned out to be the metal bit on the key, next to the shaft. this bit contacts a metal ring around the ignition barrel. make sure they are contacting each other when you put the key in and that they are clean. hope this helps.

edwardos11

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
vs acclaim series 2
starting to think it may be they battery lol it has 12V across terminals and cd player works and everything. just cuts out when i start

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Sounds like the battery, battery contacts or starter motor. You will need a multimeter to check the battery (worth getting one if you dont have one). If you tell us your voltage readings from the battery we can tell you its condition. If the battery is getting a few years old I would start by replacing it. You have already checked the battery contacts so thats done. If new battery doesnt fix it up, time for a new starter motor.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
I've heard the squeal your talking about in a VR Berlina once before, it was just the battery had died. The vehicle's voltmeter showed just over 6 volts when trying to start. Replaced the battery in it and it was fine. However when you get the new battery you should test your alternator with a tool designed to test them and the battery [dick smith, even kmart sell them]! If it's the battery that was the problem then you can return it at a dick smith in 2 weeks, if it's the alternator you've saved yourself a new battery when that one dies but have to get a new alternator!

However if your car doesn't start with a new battery then it's most likely the starter motor.