Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS on its last legs, some advice?

Gippy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Hi, new here

We have a VS Acclaim sedan and it would seem it's very close to dying completely. In the last few weeks its just going downhill.

It has a
New water pump
New thermostat, was the wrong one, currently has none.
New radiator

Main issues-
The previous rumble (that was mainly an exhaust that needs replacing) is now a full car shudder when its turned on.
The temp gauge is very erratic, but doesn't say its ever on the red even though the cars behaviour says otherwise. Connected to the fact it has no thermostat?
The heater tap leaks and leaves the car steaming and smelling.
Loud sloshing sound (although I read online that could just be water going through the heater core and some cars do it, some don't. Is that right?)
And the loveliest thing of all, when it warms up and you've driven a few kms, the motor starts knocking.

Tried replacing the leads and spark plugs but we didn't have the right tool for the spark plugs. With the leads, well, changed them over and it quietened down and ran better, however by the end of the day it sounded way worse than before so put the old ones back in a day later. We have assumed they were the wrong ones.

So, short of taking it to a mechanic (which is obviously the most logical option), any ideas?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id start by doing an error code check.Heres a link that shows you how to do this quick and easy test.If any codes show up,post up on here what they are.
---https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307---
Id also flush out the cooling system with a hose,then get a new thermostat and heater tap to get the cooling system back to how it should be.Id even throw a new radiator cap on there as well.Make sure the radiator has got the proper coolant in it and not just straight water.Then I'd do an oil and filter change,use a 20W-50 oil.Also fit new spark plugs,(double check them to make sure they are the right plugs,for NGK brand,they should be NGK BPR 6EFS 15,or for AC Delco brand plugs-they should be R42 LTS6),the sparkplug gap should be set to 1.5 mm.Also you can buy a sparkplug spanner cheap at most auto places.And as soop said above,replacing the 3 ignition coils is worth doing too if the new plugs and leads dont help...These coils seem to loose their "performance" with age,they end up breaking down completely and not sparking properly when the engine is under load,which can cause misfiring or even backfiring etc,and generally just bad running.

Last edited:

darcycammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did have VS Berlina now have VT Berlina
(heater taps are cheap like $15 - $30)

Loud sloshing sound although I read online that could just be water going through the heater core and some cars do it, some don't. Is that right?

(that might just be air try bleeding the air from the cooling system)

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
IF the car gets steamy and smelly then your heater core has a leak. Not cheap to fix. We're talking 10 hours labour to pull the entire inside of your car apart if you do it properly. If you want to get by, just cable tie your heater tap shut (obviously after you replace it with a new one, sounds like yours is rooted) to bypass the heater core and stop the leak. Or you could even reroute the water hoses in the engine bay to miss the heater core entirely.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
if your heater core is done liking life (same in my old ute smell and leak on floor) choice for you >> 1 dash out and heaps of work? or 2 cut pipes and mate new core to pipes( ill explian later if you need and post a link) are you wanting to fix the issues yourself? h/core are from $80 TO $120 NEW i did mine in 3hrs by mating a new heater core to the old pipes with oses and clamps> theres some threads on j/c. it worked a treat for me (cars been sold)
(heater taps are cheap like $15 - $30)

Loud sloshing sound although I read online that could just be water going through the heater core and some cars do it, some don't. Is that right?

(that might just be air try bleeding the air from the cooling system)

if you going to want it back to 100% the dash is going to have to come out ( there also a thread on the dash out as well )

Last edited:

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
Yeah as everyone said:

fix your cooling system, and heater core
replace leads/plugs
for the knocking, add a few liters of 98 to jack up the fuel octane. if it fixes it you can run on 95 fuel instead

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
and as cheap as poss.......blooody cars lol...
Yeah as everyone said:

fix your cooling system, and heater core
replace leads/plugs
for the knocking, add a few liters of 98 to jack up the fuel octane. if it fixes it you can run on 95 fuel instead

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
knocking at revs unless its big ends i would say harmonic balancer. last legs generally means calling up sims is just moments away. so far you have just had general wear

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
sims pay$300 for a commy
knocking at revs unless its big ends i would say harmonic balancer. last legs generally means calling up sims is just moments away. so far you have just had general wear