Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS or VT?

Discussion in 'General' started by HoldenFan09, Apr 12, 2009.

1. HoldenFan09

HoldenFan09 New Member

Members Ride:
    -
    Hey

Been on these forums for a bit but never posted. im looking at getting either a VS or a VT commodore. Thing is im not sure which one i should get, i really like the body and the look of the VT but i have heard the VS has better performance? Anything i should look for when im looking at these cars?

help would be greatly appreciated :yeah:

cheers matt

2. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Disco
    go a VT, nicer int and i think they look better, bit more of a slug though, but some basic mods will set that straight

3. MikesCalais

MikesCalais Trust me, I'm a Doctor

Members Ride:
    VE Calais V International
    Personally I would go for a VT, and make it a series two, they fixed up a few of the problems the series 1 had

as for the VS... its a lighter car than the VT with the same engine (V6) so they do have better performance, but i would still go with the VT, nicer interior and newer

4. Ripcell

Ripcell R8 FTW!!!

Members Ride:
    324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
    vt mate, whole new platform to the vs, ride nicer, drive smoother and handle better. try to aim for a vt series 2 if you can, they fixed a few minor things in it also.
    better interior, much better breaks (2 piston as opposed to 1) and they look better :thumbsup:

5. HoldenFan09

HoldenFan09 New Member

Members Ride:
    -
    Cool :) yeah I like the shape and body of the vt more

im only 16 and a half but we have a family friend who works at Metro Holden in Adelaide, and my parents have agreed to help me a little money wise. How many K's should i look at if it becomes my first car? also is there anything specific I should check on the car before I go ahead and purchase it, like common niggling problems and stuff that I should look out for?

so many questions :whistling

cheers matt

Ado likes this.
  6. Ado

Ado Are we there yet?

Members Ride:
    vsII statesman L67
    Jump into our VT/VX section and you should find answers to all your questions.
    Great to find a young bloke asking some sensible questions too,not asking about burnouts and stuff.

7. HoldenFan09

HoldenFan09 New Member

Members Ride:
    -
    Yeah that comes later :w00t:

Im kidding I just wanna cruise around adelaide and especially the adelaide hills I may even take it out to mallala and do a track day if thats possible? I want to make it look good making sure its tastefully done and then later down the track some engine mods for sure :)

Manual conversion maybe if i can't find a manual now? or just stick to auto?

8. VS Omega

VS Omega New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore Omega
    Let me ask you a few questions, this will tell you what you want:

Do you want a V6 or a V8? If V8, the VT series 1 had the best version of the 5L V8 of all the Holdens, but you can't drive the VT series 2 due to it having the LS1. If you want a V6 both cars have the same engine and power output but the VT weighs 150+kg more than the VS (meaning better fuel economy and performance).

Do you care about ability to change the look of the car? With the VS your options would be limited to a Holden or HSV bodykit and some dodgy looking tail lights, while with a VT you have a lot more options (VX-VZ front end conversions, mix and match bodykits/lights).

Are you prepared to pay a bit extra for replacement/spare parts? VS's being the older car (and based on the VN originally), combined with the amount popping up at wreckers means it will be cheaper to get spare parts for than a VT.

Insurance? I imagine it would be cheaper to insure one model than the other but I don't know which would be cheaper.

Popularity? These days everyone seems to be driving around in VS's (it used to be VL's and VN's), soon it will be VT - VY's as they're dropping in price dramatically. Do you want a car which is popular now or popular later?

Car feeling... this varies but you may feel the age of the VS more than the VT (VS being based on the VN)

9. MikesCalais

MikesCalais Trust me, I'm a Doctor

Members Ride:
    VE Calais V International
    By the way, what are you looking for exactly?

Are you after a base model (exec/acclaim) or a luxury (berlina/calais) or a sports (S or SS - the VT series 1 had a v6 supercharged version so an SS is still an option even if you dont want a v8)?

And, if you dont mind my asking, do you know roughly what your going to be willing to spend?

10. lil_mickey

lil_mickey LOUD AND PROUD

Members Ride:
    VH 253 :-)
    I had a VT and my mum drives a VS... go the VT...

much nicer all over for a first car...

less road noise, smoother ride and more room..(for all the free riding mates we all had on our p's;) )
    vt's can be done up with more style than the vs too

11. Ozzie

Ozzie JCCC Warrnambool

Members Ride:
    Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
    A few dollars spent on simple mods and a VT will leave a VS for dead.

Though the same mods to a VS would leave a VT for dead.

If you want a comphier ride go for a VT... more style
    But if your after power overall go for a VS

Choice is yours in the end.

12. HoldenFan09

HoldenFan09 New Member

Members Ride:
    -
    Hey thanks for your replys it seems the vt is winning :thumbsup:

I want to get the v6 now simply because of fuel economy I cant afford a v8 I think i will just be looking to get an executive for now unless a cheaper Acclaim or Berlina comes up? but im looking at spending around 3-6k (3 obviously being for a poor condition car) but I should be able to get a cheaper one from our family friend who works at holden :)

so if anyones got a cheap vt they wanna sell thats in good condition? Im here :)

cheers matt

13. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Hi Matt

The VT was a huge improvement in many ways over the VS, which as somebody has already said, was based on the VN, a much older and cruder car than the VT. Even though the General worked at refining the VN through four models to the VS, it remained a basic and unrefined car, and by today's standards, is not particularly safe or solid.

The VT was engineered to greatly improve the basic level of safety offered to the buyer, even in the basic models. The body was much more solid, which is why it is much heavier than the VS, it had independent suspension standard on all models, much bigger brakes, air bag for the driver as standard, better interior, was (in my opinion) much more attractive, and used proven mechanical components carried over from the VS and earlier models.

The first series VT had quite a few probs, and as they are so cheap these days, don't bother with a Series 1. The Series 2 was improved in a number of ways and was a better car. They are still a really good buy these days.

Good luck with your purchase. Look after it and it should look after you.

14. nemesis_adrasteia

nemesis_adrasteia better to reign in hell

Members Ride:
    VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
    hey mate I'm gunna go with vs because its your First car easy to get parts and fiix yourself

15. greenfoam

greenfoam New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Executive R-spec
    Either a VS or a series 2 VT like everyone is saying, it's better than the S1 in alot of ways, faster too. I prefer the VS since for me they are a better car but not everyone will agree (mostly VT owners)

16. SAV_117

SAV_117 Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VY Lumina
    its easy to get parts for a vt as well there are so many at the wreckers (yes there are more vs's but thats for a reason :) )

17. VS Omega

VS Omega New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Commodore Omega
    Because they've been around since 1995? Couldn't be drivetrain related versus a VT :p I'd get a VT if I were in OP's situation, since V6's aren't exactly performance oriented

18. JSTCOZ

JSTCOZ New Member

Members Ride:
    2000 VT S-Pack II
    I have had both a VS and VT with catback system and K&N FIlters. VT is alot nicer driving and is a **** load better interior. i also have the S-Pack VT so the suspension and all is very nice... lol. But i love my new car compared to my old one which after driivng my VT now, the VS feels like absolute **** and i laugh at all the VS CLubsports i see cos i know that mine is nicer overall

19. GUS009

GUS009 New Member

Members Ride:
    VY II SS Crewman
    what did you end up going with mate?

20. dylanstone

dylanstone tsu tsu tsu tsu

Members Ride:
    3.8L 1997 VT executive
    if you havnt already purchased a car, my 1997 VT executive is up for sale, 178xxx k's, never let me down, used for city driving, dark green, lowerd (legally) on 16 inch clubby's with a 2.5 inch cat back. best car, regretful sale need the money for uni :(........... im selling it for around $4000-5000