Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS or VT?

HoldenFan09

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hey

Been on these forums for a bit but never posted. im looking at getting either a VS or a VT commodore. Thing is im not sure which one i should get, i really like the body and the look of the VT but i have heard the VS has better performance? Anything i should look for when im looking at these cars?

help would be greatly appreciated :yeah:

cheers matt

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
go a VT, nicer int and i think they look better, bit more of a slug though, but some basic mods will set that straight

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
Personally I would go for a VT, and make it a series two, they fixed up a few of the problems the series 1 had

as for the VS... its a lighter car than the VT with the same engine (V6) so they do have better performance, but i would still go with the VT, nicer interior and newer

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
vt mate, whole new platform to the vs, ride nicer, drive smoother and handle better. try to aim for a vt series 2 if you can, they fixed a few minor things in it also.
better interior, much better breaks (2 piston as opposed to 1) and they look better :thumbsup:

HoldenFan09

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Cool :) yeah I like the shape and body of the vt more

im only 16 and a half but we have a family friend who works at Metro Holden in Adelaide, and my parents have agreed to help me a little money wise. How many K's should i look at if it becomes my first car? also is there anything specific I should check on the car before I go ahead and purchase it, like common niggling problems and stuff that I should look out for?

so many questions :whistling

cheers matt

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
Jump into our VT/VX section and you should find answers to all your questions.
Great to find a young bloke asking some sensible questions too,not asking about burnouts and stuff.

HoldenFan09

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Yeah that comes later :w00t:

Im kidding I just wanna cruise around adelaide and especially the adelaide hills I may even take it out to mallala and do a track day if thats possible? I want to make it look good making sure its tastefully done and then later down the track some engine mods for sure :)

Manual conversion maybe if i can't find a manual now? or just stick to auto?

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Let me ask you a few questions, this will tell you what you want:

Do you want a V6 or a V8? If V8, the VT series 1 had the best version of the 5L V8 of all the Holdens, but you can't drive the VT series 2 due to it having the LS1. If you want a V6 both cars have the same engine and power output but the VT weighs 150+kg more than the VS (meaning better fuel economy and performance).

Do you care about ability to change the look of the car? With the VS your options would be limited to a Holden or HSV bodykit and some dodgy looking tail lights, while with a VT you have a lot more options (VX-VZ front end conversions, mix and match bodykits/lights).

Are you prepared to pay a bit extra for replacement/spare parts? VS's being the older car (and based on the VN originally), combined with the amount popping up at wreckers means it will be cheaper to get spare parts for than a VT.

Insurance? I imagine it would be cheaper to insure one model than the other but I don't know which would be cheaper.

Popularity? These days everyone seems to be driving around in VS's (it used to be VL's and VN's), soon it will be VT - VY's as they're dropping in price dramatically. Do you want a car which is popular now or popular later?

Car feeling... this varies but you may feel the age of the VS more than the VT (VS being based on the VN)

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
By the way, what are you looking for exactly?

Are you after a base model (exec/acclaim) or a luxury (berlina/calais) or a sports (S or SS - the VT series 1 had a v6 supercharged version so an SS is still an option even if you dont want a v8)?

And, if you dont mind my asking, do you know roughly what your going to be willing to spend?

lil_mickey

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 253 :-)
I had a VT and my mum drives a VS... go the VT...

much nicer all over for a first car...

less road noise, smoother ride and more room..(for all the free riding mates we all had on our p's;) )
vt's can be done up with more style than the vs too