Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Plate & Reverse light not working - Earths?

RobMooar

Reaction score
Members Ride
_
Hi All

I am currently having issues with my VS's number plate lights and reversing lights. I've checked the bulbs, but all are good. I also put the multimeter on the connections and found that there seems to be no volts.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me of some things to check. And also wondering if anyone can tell me where the earth points are on VS's, so I can go through and check that they still have a good connection etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rob

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
you've check volts at teh connections which tells helps us out, here are a few things to check,

1. fuses, make sure they are all fine.
2. reverse lights are off the gear stick, which being a 6 seater and column shift, i wouldnt have a clue where they hide em on the column, remove the lower panel under the steering column n check connections round the inhibator switch.
3. number plate lights, just check for continuity across the globes, wont hurt to check ;)
4. dont exactly know where the earths are in the boot if any, but normally its water in the connections causing corrosion. check contacts and clean with a wire brush if u can.

hopefully that is some what helpful.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Also have a look up inside the bootlid where all the wires go - I had one of my grandkids pulling at the wires up there one day - wouldn't be too hard for one to get dislodged.

RobMooar

Reaction score
Members Ride
_
Hi All

Firstly, thanks for your time guys, I really appreciate it.

Ephect: Fuses checked and working.. switches in column checked with multimeter and working.. Plate light and reverse light terminals checked and brushed then checked with mm again, no go.. Bulbs checked by wire/bat also (away from car). All still not working :cry:

Hako: thanks.. will check that tonight. having 3 kids 5 and under, more than likely that this has happened.. worst fear is that they have broken the wires in several places by yanking on them.

Again, thanks both for your help.

Cheers

Rob

RobMooar

Reaction score
Members Ride
_
Hi Again

Hako and kinkbike_rider: just been out and had a look at this, pulling things apart etc, testing wires, it appears the problem is where the wires leave the loom to travel up to the boot, where it'd get the most movement. Problem is, going by the feel and look of the wires, it looks as though they have broken in several places, and possibly more damage than I had originally anticipated. I think a trip to the auto sparky will be in order, as it is part of the main loom (as I hate auto electrics with a vengeance).. Oh well, these things happen.

Thank you all for your help.

Rob

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You could just undo the tape off the loom and cut new wires in - it's pretty easy...just follow the right colour.