Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS power door lock chatters when locking

R

Reborn

Whilst locking with the remote, there is a chattering sound after the driver door lock is closed.

I am guessing it may be related to a limit switch or solenoid adjustment, but have no idea. I would just like some ideas about it what may be the cure, before I start pulling the door apart. Assuming, I will have to pull the door apart, are there any tips or gotchas with this?

6h84eva

Certifiably Holden Mad
Reaction score
Website
www.ithome.net.nz
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6
Sounds like the door's actuator has had enough. My driver's door one started doing this a while ago and I got it replaced by an autoelectrician. To ger the original part from Holden was quite expensive because the actuator is part of the door locking mechanism. The autoelectrician used an after market version that will lock and unlock the door ok and the remote still works as it used to - just if I use the key to unlock the car, then the other locks don't come up as the actuator is now separate from the original lock. No issue really - just reach around and unlock the passenger's rear door and they all come up anyway, but if you're using the key to lock and unlock the car remotely anyway, no difference will be experienced.

Good luck!

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Its called machine gunning and its not uncommon.Its because the switch in the drivers door solenoid is not making a good contact when the door is unlocked.It could be out of adjustment or just broken inside the solenoid.
I just took the whole locking lever/catch etc mechanism out complete with solenoid and replaced with another complete unit from the wreckers .

R

Reborn

Thanks 6h4eva and markovr.

I removed the actuator from the door lock assembly, prised it apart, to find a small electric motor, gear set with pinion / rack movement that drives the lock-unlock function, and a small microswitch that detects end of travel of the rack in the locked position. In a last ditch attempt I disassembled the motor and cleaned the brush commutator ring, refitted the entire assembly to now find that it machine-guns with both the lock and unlock and unlock functions. I guess it must be the microswitch that failed !

Bought a new actuator pn 90277865 for NZD150 inc GST trade price, and problem is now fixed. Apparently it a common fault, partly due to the actuator design, but also due to the lock mechnism needing lubrication which increases the load on the actuator.