Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Power Steering Pump

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by kargikai, Jul 25, 2006.

1. kargikai

kargikai Guest

Help! My power steering pump was leaking, couldn't see where. Bought a new seal kit, took the pump off and replaced the two large seals and the front pulley seal. Problem is, couldn't see where the small seal went. Does anyone have a diagram of the power steerin pump??

2. hako

hako Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VS11 BT1 V6
    Gregorys shows a small seal (O ring) on the end of the coil spring under the valve. Mine leaks from where the return hose goes to the reservoir then bleeds down to the pump - this can appear to be a leaking pump! Hope this helps.

3. kargikai

kargikai Guest

Thanks heaps for this, I must be going blind! Turned a few pages and there it was!:)

4. Clacker

Clacker New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Exec Series II
    How easy is it to remove the pump, replace seals and bleed system?

Clacks

5. VS CALAIS

VS CALAIS M6 VF SSV

Members Ride:
    VF SSV 6spd Manual
    If its a V6 easy , removed / rebuilt and installed within an hour...as for a V8 never removed one so dont know.... you can get a rebuilt kit from holden if your lookin at rebuilding yours...

6. Clinster

Clinster New Member

Members Ride:
    VSII Berlina
    Is it worth doing the seals or just replacing the whole pump?
    Was bleeding easy? if at all??

7. VS CALAIS

VS CALAIS M6 VF SSV

Members Ride:
    VF SSV 6spd Manual
    I replaced the seals and totally stripped and cleaned the pump out , as for bleeding put the front up on stands ( so both front wheels are of the ground, and chock the back wheels yeah) then fill the pump through the plastic resivour and turn the steering wheel from side to side while topping up the power steering, then just keep going until the fluid stabilizes near the full mark. as for replacing the pump ... $$$$$$ compared to a rebuild kit from holden , by memory i only paid something like $18 - $20 for the kit.
    let us know how u go :)

8. sam_180

sam_180 Guest

Hello everyone,

My girlfriend has a VR V6 commodore. After driving for about 10 minutes there is quite a strong burning smell comming from the engine bay area.

I had a quick look under the hood and there was quite a bit of oil on the exhaust manifolds. There was a heap of oil around the rocker cover gaskets. Also a heap of oil all over the crank case and gearbox (But what car doesnt have oil all over these areas). The power steering fluid was also really low.

Anyway, I know of the seals on the power steering pump being an issue. I thought I'd replace the rocker cover gaskets first and see how she went. Surprise surprise the smell didnt dissapear.

I now plan to replace the power steering pump seals....maybe order a kit from holden like the previous posts indicates.

I was just wondering whether anyone would know of any other issues that may be causing the smell. Sorry to ask a dump questions fellas, but Im under pressure from the girlfriends father.

Peace out
    Sam

9. shano77

shano77 New Member

Members Ride:
    vr 5.0
    power steering works intermititly on vr commodore V8