Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Power Steering Pump

K

kargikai

Help! My power steering pump was leaking, couldn't see where. Bought a new seal kit, took the pump off and replaced the two large seals and the front pulley seal. Problem is, couldn't see where the small seal went. Does anyone have a diagram of the power steerin pump??

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Gregorys shows a small seal (O ring) on the end of the coil spring under the valve. Mine leaks from where the return hose goes to the reservoir then bleeds down to the pump - this can appear to be a leaking pump! Hope this helps.

K

kargikai

hako said:
Gregorys shows a small seal (O ring) on the end of the coil spring under the valve. Mine leaks from where the return hose goes to the reservoir then bleeds down to the pump - this can appear to be a leaking pump! Hope this helps.

Thanks heaps for this, I must be going blind! Turned a few pages and there it was!:)

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
kargikai said:
Thanks heaps for this, I must be going blind! Turned a few pages and there it was!:)

How easy is it to remove the pump, replace seals and bleed system?

Clacks

VS CALAIS

M6 VF SSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6spd Manual
If its a V6 easy , removed / rebuilt and installed within an hour...as for a V8 never removed one so dont know.... you can get a rebuilt kit from holden if your lookin at rebuilding yours...

VS CALAIS

M6 VF SSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6spd Manual
Clinster said:
Is it worth doing the seals or just replacing the whole pump?
Was bleeding easy? if at all??
I replaced the seals and totally stripped and cleaned the pump out , as for bleeding put the front up on stands ( so both front wheels are of the ground, and chock the back wheels yeah) then fill the pump through the plastic resivour and turn the steering wheel from side to side while topping up the power steering, then just keep going until the fluid stabilizes near the full mark. as for replacing the pump ... $$$$$$ compared to a rebuild kit from holden , by memory i only paid something like $18 - $20 for the kit.
let us know how u go :)

S

sam_180

Hello everyone,

My girlfriend has a VR V6 commodore. After driving for about 10 minutes there is quite a strong burning smell comming from the engine bay area.

I had a quick look under the hood and there was quite a bit of oil on the exhaust manifolds. There was a heap of oil around the rocker cover gaskets. Also a heap of oil all over the crank case and gearbox (But what car doesnt have oil all over these areas). The power steering fluid was also really low.

Anyway, I know of the seals on the power steering pump being an issue. I thought I'd replace the rocker cover gaskets first and see how she went. Surprise surprise the smell didnt dissapear.

I now plan to replace the power steering pump seals....maybe order a kit from holden like the previous posts indicates.

I was just wondering whether anyone would know of any other issues that may be causing the smell. Sorry to ask a dump questions fellas, but Im under pressure from the girlfriends father.

Peace out
Sam

shano77

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr 5.0
power steering works intermititly on vr commodore V8