Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Powersteering groan

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Hi All.

Not overly knowledgable when it comes to power steering (never really touched a PS setup before)
I have noticed over the past few weeks that when I am steering the rack/pump seems to be giving a groaning noise.

Its holding its fluid (topped it up when I got the car a month back and level hasn't dropped since.)

Does anyone know what could be causing this and how to fix it? (pictures would be excellent if anyone has any of the culprit part)

Thanks Alot

Bourbonated

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Groaning noises are sometimes caused by the pump dying or low oil pressure / not enough oil. As you stated you're keeping the level up to it, so it could just be a case of it getting old.

How old is the pump in it?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Groaning noises are sometimes caused by the pump dying or low oil pressure / not enough oil. As you stated you're keeping the level up to it, so it could just be a case of it getting old.

How old is the pump in it?

I am not 100% on the history of the car (I have only had it a month or so)

Previous owner (my father in law so I doubt he would lie to me) told me the engine had been rebuild just over 120,000k ago but not sure if that included things like P/S pump or A/C compressor etc

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Rebuild generaly wouldnt include a PS pump or AC comp. But its really what the person that owned the thing wanted to rebulid, not really a rule on what gets done and what dosent get done.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Theres a bush where the steering column shaft passes through the firewall into the cabin,and when this bush dries out ,it makes this horrible moaning,groaning sound when the steering wheel is turned.My car was doing it really badly when I first got it,I was told I needed new P/S pump,new rack etc,then I read on here about this noise,the dry bush and the WD 40 trick,I sprayed WD 40 on it,and it instantly fixed the noise,completely gone,and now 2 years later,its still hasnt returned.I found that its easiest to spray upwards into the area from under the car.Ive since fixed this problem on a few friends VS's ,they had been told similar things like needing a new P/S pump etc.They were very happy to say the least to find out how easily this annoying problem can be fixed...

Bourbonated

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I am not 100% on the history of the car (I have only had it a month or so)

Previous owner (my father in law so I doubt he would lie to me) told me the engine had been rebuild just over 120,000k ago but not sure if that included things like P/S pump or A/C compressor etc

Fair enough. Second hand pumps usually run in anywhere between $30-$80 depending on where you go and if they like to chuck obscene prices on them.

Theres a bush where the steering column shaft passes through the firewall into the cabin,and when this bush dries out ,it makes this horrible moaning,groaning sound when the steering wheel is turned.My car was doing it really badly when I first got it,I was told I needed new P/S pump,new rack etc,then I read on here about this noise,the dry bush and the WD 40 trick,I sprayed WD 40 on it,and it instantly fixed the noise,completely gone,and now 2 years later,its still hasnt returned.I found that its easiest to spray upwards into the area from under the car.Ive since fixed this problem on a few friends VS's ,they had been told similar things like needing a new P/S pump etc.They were very happy to say the least to find out how easily this annoying problem can be fixed...

But I suggest you do this first. If this doesn't work, ring around your local wreckers and see if they have any for a decent price.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG

Beat me to it :D

Yeah the Bush is generally the source of the groaning. The pump groan/giving way is usually accompanied by some feedback into the steering wheel, rather than just a groaning noise.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Beat me to it :D

Yeah the Bush is generally the source of the groaning. The pump groan/giving way is usually accompanied by some feedback into the steering wheel, rather than just a groaning noise.

Thanks guys

That sounds more likely to be the culprit

The car was sitting for 3 years before I got it so the bush is probably very dry.

Will spray some WD40 tonight and let you know how it goes

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I'd put my money on the pump. The vanes wear and make a noise when it's under load. Does it make a noise when just idling and not moving the steering wheel?