Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Powersteering problem

Holdennut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
My VS Executive Commodore Seies 2 developed over a time the following problem on idle speed when turning say out of a parking spot turning the steering wheel a light shudder occures and the steering wheel position changes by about 10 degrees and eventually over time returnes to the square position it does not affect the steering otherwise.I spoke to my mechanic about this problem many a time but he thinks there is nothing to worry about any ideas would be appreciated

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
power steering shudder is common in these racks

likely faulty rack (probably leaking fluid out left hand boot)

or low psteer fluid

or leaking hose clamps (try nipping them up)
hose clamps to check - resevoir to pump, sbend hoses rhf under radiator (between radiator and frame)

it will be expensive to fix and if only annoys you at idle in car parks may not be worth it? likely why he said dont worry about it
if the car steers porrly while driving at speed IT IS WORTH WORRYING ABOUT

jamex101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Calais
the same problem happened to me a little while ago and brett_jjj recommended that what i do is spray some wd40 inside the shoe between the bush where the steering column shaft passes through the firewall into the engine bay.
apparently what happens is that the factory grease wears away over time and this causes the "shuddering and the noise"
and really what else have you got to lose? if it doesn't work then you know its your power steering but if it does you saved a whole lotta money.

if you don't understand waht i said just check this out! brett explains it fair well.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...5180-vs-calais-steering-whine-low-speeds.html