Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs radiater leaking coolant from side tank????

HK-VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ECOTEC
Gday everyone

I have a vs commodore, and i think its leaking coolant from the drivers side but not from hoses.the mechanic said it could be the side tank,If not the core of the radiater 150-500 dollars.....If its not coming from the core,How do you repair the side tank,The wreckers only have series 2 radiaters and mine a series 1...And they said they could order one in for 2 hundred dollars near new.If anyone could give me some pointers,/it would be appreciated..Cheers hk-vs.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Don't think there is much difference if any between series 1 and series 2 radiators. From my understanding you should be able to do a remove and swap which is very easy. Honestly when a radiator is leaking coolant and a Mechanic says its broken somewhere, i would just replace the whole radiator. Although be careful as some mechanics will say one thing just to get some $$$ out of you.

HK-VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ECOTEC
Don't think there is much difference if any between series 1 and series 2 radiators. From my understanding you should be able to do a remove and swap which is very easy. Honestly when a radiator is leaking coolant and a Mechanic says its broken somewhere, i would just replace the whole radiator. Although be careful as some mechanics will say one thing just to get some $$$ out of you.
Thanks for that,Just got a quote to replace side tank...130 dollars.

HK-VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ECOTEC
Series two are screw in transmission lines,mine clip on.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Ah ok... see you learn something new everyday. Its a dam they changed those little things otherwise you would be all sweet with a series 1. Wow $130 to have just the side replaced... Try and look around at the wreckers for a Series II radiator. You can normally pick them up for $150.

HK-VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ECOTEC
Ah ok... see you learn something new everyday. Its a dam they changed those little things otherwise you would be all sweet with a series 1. Wow $130 to have just the side replaced... Try and look around at the wreckers for a Series II radiator. You can normally pick them up for $150.
I have to take it out and hand it to them,Or if they take it out its 400:cry:joke....The mechanic said if its the tank 150,so i have booked it in...Otherwise i have to pay 200 dollars for a near new on.:bang: lol

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Dam mate... Where abouts are you located?

08sky_way

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
Two weeks ago the driver's side tank on my VR developed a crack. I picked up a new radiator for $99.95 on ebay plus $34 delivery to WA. It took 7 days to get here from NSW. It is a simple job to install.

HK-VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ECOTEC
Two weeks ago the driver's side tank on my VR developed a crack. I picked up a new radiator for $99.95 on ebay plus $34 delivery to WA. It took 7 days to get here from NSW. It is a simple job to install.
I could get another for 200 near new and put it in myself,Gee I dont even know if it would be near new since its a wreckers thats would have ordered it in.My mechanic said that if its the side tank he would fix it for 150,If the core in the radiater is all right.