Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS randomly dying

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Hey guys, I have a VS acclaim on dual fuel, i've had it for about a year and it's been fine the whole time, but lately when I'm driving it, it will randomly start struggling, I will lose all power, it feels as if it's missing a cylinder? If I turn it off and leave it for a few minutes and start it again it will be fine.

Any suggestions on what the problem is? Thanks!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id start by checking for any set error codes,heres a link to a post that shows you how to do this quick simple test.
---https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307---
Also the CAS ( Crank Angle Sensor) can cause similar problems,so can faulty ignition coils,these break down under load and can cause a misfire or bad running etc.Id start with the simple things first though,like the error check and the spark plugs and leads etc,then go from there.If no error codes show up ,then replace the spark plugs and plug leads if they are more than 12 months old.With it being on gas,the plug gap should be set to 1mm instead of the usual 1.5mm.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Thanks for the advice, went to start it just before and it won't even start on LPG, and there's no petrol so I can start it on that either.

Recently I had a short in my car and it fried my alternator and some of my fuses, the car would kick over at all so I had to replace the alternator, and I saw that the fuel pump fuse was blown, after I had replaced that it started first go? I didn't think the fuel pump had anything to do with the LPG..

EDIT: Just checked the error codes and it come up as fine.

Last edited:

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
at least she fixed and going
Thanks for the advice, went to start it just before and it won't even start on LPG, and there's no petrol so I can start it on that either.

Recently I had a short in my car and it fried my alternator and some of my fuses, the car would kick over at all so I had to replace the alternator, and I saw that the fuel pump fuse was blown, after I had replaced that it started first go? I didn't think the fuel pump had anything to do with the LPG..

EDIT: Just checked the error codes and it come up as fine.

AqaumarineVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Crank Angle Sensor-my VR would randomly die and fart and carry on,it was the CAS needed replacement

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
I've just noticed that I can't hear my fuel pump turn on when turning the key to "ON", it doesn't start on petrol nor LPG, does the fuel pump need to be working for it to start on gas?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I know that a lot of LPG cars have problems with buggered fuel pumps and clogged, dirty petrol systems because gas/petrol cars should be run on petrol for 15 minutes or so every week, and at least once every month ,run on petrol for a day,with some fresh petrol added to the petrol tank.This just keeps the petrol system ,pump etc in a good working condition.I know people who never run on petrol,just on gas,and then wonder why they have problems with it when they finally decide to run it on petrol,so this is worth keeping in mind.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Unfortunately, I am one of those people, I haven't run it on petrol since I brought it over a year ago, I understand now that this is probably where my problem is coming from, my best bet is on a stuffed fuel pump?

revhead001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Manual Wagon
As a rule, you only need 3 things for an engine to run. Fuel, spark and air. Which one is missing for your car to run? Also LPG is very sensitive to pretty much anything you can imagine.Vacume leaks, poor spark, restricted air flow etc. Letting the maintenence slip on a LPG vehicle is a bad thing.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
I'm not too sure revhead, I know I haven't really been treating it well mechanically since I've owned it, it's getting towed to my mechanic today for them to look at it.