Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs rear speakers

oldmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
G'day, just wondering if anyone had any info on the back speakers for a vs. I want to put 6x9" in, but have been told that you need to cut out the metal to get them to fit, making the car illegal. Is there anyway around this? What is meant by illegal, will it not pass a roadworthy or something like that?

Matty081

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
make a custom shelf if you can, or sit them on pods, yes it is illegal to cut the structural member of your car without having an engineer check it over. But whos to say you will get caught........ untill you sell your car and the buyer wants it fixed so it is roadworthy....$$$$$$$$
to be honest, i'd suggest forgetting the 6x9's and going for a good 6.5" off the deck and a sub
rear fill speakers are exactly that...rear fill.

hth

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
^2nd that. i know a bloke who bought a VL which had two 10 inch subs AND a pair of 6x9's in the parcel shelf - or whatevers left of the parcel shelf i should say, but he had no worries getting a roadworthy.

Pioneer 306 sub, jaycar amp = adequate bass cheap

oldmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
yeah, i am considering the option of a sub and 6.5", i would really prefer to have the car in as original looking condition in the interior as possible. thanks. I'd rather spend more on things like exhaust and wheels, so Jaycar you reckon for cheap but half decent audio?

Matty081

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Apparently jaycar amps are rather good value for money.
wouldn't know personally haven't had one.
All I've got is the pioneer deh-5650mp deck running an old 364c (15") through a 60wrms 2ch clarion amp and wee little standard papercones for front stage and and it does the job for me :) This is untill the new splits arrive next week for the front then off to find an amp for them and a set of 6-6.5" off the deck for the rear. should be nice punchy.

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
hey oldmate,

you said you want to keep the interior looking as stock as possible... if your really keen on this then replace the stock 6"s with a new pair of 6"s.

As far as 6 x 9"s go, yes - it will make your car unroadworthy to cut into the parcel shelf however if you take a look under the parcel shelf the main restriction is often the spot welded pieces of metal which restrict the magnet from reaching through. If you remove these (which is ok to do and won't unroadworthy your car) then you can stick in 6 x 9's oriented 90 degrees to how you'd imagine they'd go in and they'll fit (i.e. they'll run long ways with the body of the vehicle rather than perpendicular to the length of the vehicle).

What i've done is install 6.5"s which are mounted to the parcel shelf itself rather than under it. Simply drilled a few holes and mounted them so the top of the speaker and it's grill now sits on top of the shelf. At the end of the day rear speakers are exactly as has been said here... just for fill so you don't have to pay as much attention to quality when buying them as you do with front splits. For sound quality you'll find it better to have the gains set fairly low on your rear speakers so they give the 'filling' effect rather than the overwhelming effect. Most of your sound should be coming from up front.

Another thing that has been suggested was the parcel shelf idea... This was alot easier to do in something like a VN because the shelf was flat (i think) and didn't have the seat belt coming through it so that made life easier.

In retrospect, if i was to be doing rear speakers again i'd be buying a nice pair of 6"s ($150-$300 not over the moon) and just chucking them in the stock location. You'll here people say that there are alot more 6.5"s out there and maybe there are but at the end of the day nice 6"s can be found and they are only for fill. Money saved on going all out on expensive rear speakers can be better spent on other things like improving front splits or sound deadening.

Also, if you go down the alley of getting a sub (even a cheap one) then don't get 6 x 9's as you'll get better sound quality out of 6"s.
If you need any pics of the spot welded pieces which you can legally take off or anything else around that area let me know, i took plenty when doing mine. Cheers, Bryce.

Last edited:

oldmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive
ok, thanks a lot bryce. I've just bought this car, and from my old car, a vh, i took out the 2 6x9" and 2 6" sony explodes. I had made my own parcel shelf for the vh, but the hole thing was a rush job - i didn't care too much. It also had a 222W amp. I got these very cheap off a mate, and i'm thinking i should just off load the whole lot to someone else, by looking at the negative response to 6x9's on the poll i saw somewhere on this site. Without a sub, will 6" in the back still give the whole car a good sound. I still haven't thought about what to put in the front yet. Cheers if anyone has any good ideas.

Matty081

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
really got to go audition speakers for yourself to get a good feel for what you want. bring your own music cd and make sure they haven't got them running through an amp.

otherwise i've always had a thing for pioneer speakers(could you tell?) out of all the small amount of types of speakers i've used... pioneer, kenwood, clarion and sony, the pioneers would have been the front runners for SQ with clarions coming off second best imo...
my personal opinion out of my small amount of experience only, hopefully others can broaden your horizons...

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
if you want to broaden horizons have a bit of a look into brands that you don't see on the wall of supercheap or autobarn. Focal, Dyna Audio, Rainbow to name a few are sound quality speakers that if you knew nothing about you might assume were dodgy $10 speakers from no-name brands. Quite frankly you won't find many of the leading sound quality speaker brands in you local supercheap or autobarn. If i had to suggest anything i'd suggest you take a look on www.caraudioaustralia.com in the for sale section and have a quick search for those names. You can pick up really good quality stuff second hand on there without paying the earth.

As for your question about having 6"s with no sub, yes it will still sound quite good, it just won't go as low. Getting a sub and amp to power it doesn't have to be overly expensive though. At the moment i'm running a second hand Sounstream Rubicon 12" in a box that i picked up from ebay for $41.00 which does quite a good job. Match this with a decent second hand amp and you could probably add a sub into your system for as little as $150-300 without it sounding shithouse. Just depends how much value you put on that brand new smell of off the shelf products.