Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Rear WheeL Allignment

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
Hey everyone. I have a 1996 VS BERLINA IRS and I have noticed that the rear passenger wheel is a lot more “bent inwards”. What I mean is that the whole wheel is more on an angle then the other side. The car is booked in for a 4 wheel allignment since I have never done the rear only the front. My question is will the wheel alignment place be able to adjust the rear wheels on these cars? Or are they too old? Reminder that it does have IRS and it looks like someone’s put new nolathane camber bushes. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Sounds like it has TOO much negative Camber,

A GOOD Wheel alignment place should be able to fix it,
or
advise you where to get it repaired, in "Australia" somewhere !

Has it has a hard time ?,
ie: Burnouts/Skids/Donuts ? (Hmmm, HoldenHoon addy ?)

Be honest !!!

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Hey everyone. I have a 1996 VS BERLINA IRS and I have noticed that the rear passenger wheel is a lot more “bent inwards”. What I mean is that the whole wheel is more on an angle then the other side. The car is booked in for a 4 wheel allignment since I have never done the rear only the front. My question is will the wheel alignment place be able to adjust the rear wheels on these cars? Or are they too old? Reminder that it does have IRS and it looks like someone’s put new nolathane camber bushes. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
Nope cannot be adjusted. You can purchase camber correction kits but they’re not amazing. Barely anybody’s interested in spending the time to align them. I’ve been through it all and I wouldn’t do it again.

The best upgrade is to fit toe adjuster rods as per vx2 to allow for some more rigidly and adjustability for the rear end.

The most important thing is to forget about camber - it won’t wear tyres as much as you think, and rear camber is part and parcel of owning these vehicles. Toe will scrub tyres very, very quickly.

Check the condition of your control arm bushes and make sure there’s no visible impact damage to the control arms.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If it has a camber kit installed, yes it can be adjusted. If it hasn't, no it can't be adjusted

Camber wears tyres just as much if not more than toe.

The purpose of an alignment is to ensure when a car is moving, the weight of the corner of the car is evenly spread across the whole tread face....So with you saying, it is leaning in, says the weight of the car on that particular corner is more concentrated on the inner edge, therefore will cause it to wear quicker.

Yes, these IRS Commodores are prone to wearing the inner edges quicker and can be very difficult to get right, especially if you have weight in the rear...Adding a toe adjuster and camber kits can help elivate the wear but not always successfully...

The way I personally try to elivate the wear, if it only has a toe adjuster is give it a little more toe than "normal" as such, to you are spreading the load a little more to the outer edge, rather than it being concentrated on the inner edge....How much more is camber dependant.....

Anyway best of luck and keep us posted on the results of the alignment

Reactions: Lex

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Camber wears tyres just as much if not more than toe.
The real (critical) issue is when it’s a combination of the two.

With correct toe adjustment, tyres will typically last a fair while with considerable camber. You’re changing the contact patch across the width of the tread.

With correct camber and excessive toe (especially out in the case of commodore IRS), the tyre will scrub against the road. In this case, you can destroy a set of tyres in under 50km. With toe, you’re altering the direction that each wheel is rotating toward. If they’re not parallel to one another, the tyres are naturally fighting one another.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

With correct toe adjustment, tyres will typically last a fair while with considerable camber. You’re changing the contact patch across the width of the tread.

With correct camber and excessive toe (especially out in the case of commodore IRS), the tyre will scrub against the road. In this case, you can destroy a set of tyres in under 50km. With toe, you’re altering the direction that each wheel is rotating toward. If they’re not parallel to one another, the tyres are naturally fighting one another.

I find especially with the later IRS Commodores with toe adjusters and 1+ degrees neg cambers adding in another 1 MM to 4 MM of total toe depending on the amount of camber, does help them live a little longer.....So I'm talking inbetween 2MM and 6MM total toe for it.... But it doesn't totally stop the inner wear, as you still have a fair bit of weight on the inner edge, causing the wear. And that weight is via camber.

If the cambers are under the 1 degree neg, I go a max of 2MM total toe....That generally allows the rears to wear fairly well providing you don't constantly have people sitting in the back, or have the back loaded up for the family holiday.....

Of course I have to actually see the wear pattern, combine it with the readings and make a call on how the toe is set to get the maximum life from the tyres

So in the case of the OP, it is hard to say whether they have adjusters or whether someone has just replaced the bushes because the factory ones have flogged out....(Good possibility there)

And yes I have struck the noobs that add way too much toe for the camber, which in turn destroys the tyres....

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
Sounds like it has TOO much negative Camber,

A GOOD Wheel alignment place should be able to fix it,
or
advise you where to get it repaired, in "Australia" somewhere !

Has it has a hard time ?,
ie: Burnouts/Skids/Donuts ? (Hmmm, HoldenHoon addy ?)

Be honest !!!
No burnouts nothing mate I swear! All I know is that the car used to be a tow car and an old bloke towed a big boat on it everyday for 15 years. I used a tape measure and looked from the top of the tyre to the rear quarter panel. The gap difference is bad. The good side is 25mm and the leaning in side is 35mm.

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
Nope cannot be adjusted. You can purchase camber correction kits but they’re not amazing. Barely anybody’s interested in spending the time to align them. I’ve been through it all and I wouldn’t do it again.

The best upgrade is to fit toe adjuster rods as per vx2 to allow for some more rigidly and adjustability for the rear end.

The most important thing is to forget about camber - it won’t wear tyres as much as you think, and rear camber is part and parcel of owning these vehicles. Toe will scrub tyres very, very quickly.

Check the condition of your control arm bushes and make sure there’s no visible impact damage to the control arms.
Damn so the rear tyres can’t be touched at all? Why would it be so badly out surely they couldn’t leave the production line like that. Someone gave me a brand new set of nolathane bushes for the rear control arms and it says camber adjustment bushes. Not sure how they would work though.

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8

The tyres I believe are straight it’s just one tyre is leaning inwards. Wearing out the inside more then the outside. Have had these tyres on for 2000km and it’s nearly on the wear indicator.

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
I have also checked under the car and the bushes are red nolathane. I’m not sure if they are adjustable but I have a brand new kit of nolathane rear control arm bushes and it say they are adjustable bushes that help with camber wear. The part number is 46138A. How would I go using these? Big job to do yourself? Is it worth it? Sorry for the questions I’m still learning about the irs systems. Cheers guys

Last edited: