Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs repairs

nicb

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore wagon
hi guys...
Im new to the forum but have been a reader for a while...

My current problem is weird... my fuel light comes on when the tank is full but also my tacho has stopped and the car is now running hot....

A few weeks ago, the coil pack packed it in and we replaced it.... then the dash lights came on when i braked, this is also when the tacho stopped and the car started to run hot... so we replaced all the bulbs and flushed the radiator... all good!... every thing was running great... the fuel light didnt come on and it no longer ran hot and the tacho started working again....

So we decided to put new and more expensive coolant in it... (we did bleed it and we also ran the heater).... but today as i drove it down the road , the fuel light came back on, the tacho stopped working and it was running hot again....

Im at a total loss??

Can someone plz give me an idea of what this could be??

Cheers!

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Send temp sender or sensor maybe faulty or dirty, both sensors are underneath the Thermostat housing. They may need replacing. Failing that, you may need a complete new instrument cluster.

nicb

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore wagon
okay.. great thanks, will have a look..

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Is the car actually running hot or is it just the gauge indication? (you say you flushed the radiator). Also run the fault code check: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307
Another long shot is check the thick lead to the back of the alternator - these overheat and can cause funny electrical problems with fluctuating voltages. Also check the battery terminals and especially the body to engine earth.

nicb

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore wagon
checked and cleaned the temp sensor.......still running hot!

thanks Hako, yes it does run hot... it always use to sit at 1/4 while driving on the highway and climb to 1/2 and the fan would kick in.... now its going straight up to 3/4 and then the fan kicks in, it really worries me, but i sat in the driveway to see how high it would actually get and it doesnt go any higher than 3/4....and the fan cuts in and out..and it never drops below 1/2 now...

will do an error code check and the others things you suggested tomorrow and let u know how i get on..thanks again..

nicb

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore wagon
gremlin has gone today... car is working fine... tacho working, not getting hot nor is the fuel light coming on...
Its sooooo weird.. anyway, will still do a error code check when the weather clears... cheers!

nicb

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore wagon
just an update of whats been happening... gremlin came back the other day but as you said Hako it maynot be running hot after all,its just registering that it is.. cleaned the motor up and everything has been running perfect for the last couple of days... i have purchased an instrument cluster off a friend so i think thats going to be the next port of call.... thanks all for your input.. i love this site and have gathered so much useful info.. cheers!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
just an update of whats been happening... gremlin came back the other day but as you said Hako it maynot be running hot after all,its just registering that it is.. cleaned the motor up and everything has been running perfect for the last couple of days... i have purchased an instrument cluster off a friend so i think thats going to be the next port of call.... thanks all for your input.. i love this site and have gathered so much useful info.. cheers!

Have you checked the wire at the back of the alternator as I previously suggested? - this can cause weird problems.....wiggle it and check it isn't brittle.