Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs reverse light issue

Vsraptor

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs spac ute
Hi all new here glad to be back in a Holden again after many years in the 4x4 world, any way to the reason for my post. I have an issue with my reverse lights I have replaced the reverse switch and checked the bulbs and fuse etc.
I have put the test light on the bulb connection and nothing. Checked the the connector inside the tub near the back of the Ute. Am I missing another connection?
I have a fair knowledge of car electics but this has me stumped. Can any of you gurus help? And yes I have searched through posts but to no avail
Cheers Kev

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
both sides or just the 1?
I ask this as i have had it where the bulb isnt making proper connections (was with a tail light instead)

Reverse lights on the VS are generally very simple, fuse, switch and then to the light.
(had a similar problem, but it was the fuse blowing for another reason)

Otherwise check continuity incase of a broken wire.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If it's the same side giving the problem it's probably the grease/putty inside the bulb holder stopping it from making contact properly.

Vsraptor

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs spac ute
It’s both sides with no power to each of the globe cradles maybe the new switch is faulty ? Will recheck again tomorrow arvo thanks for the input

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It’s both sides with no power to each of the globe cradles maybe the new switch is faulty ? Will recheck again tomorrow arvo thanks for the input
Bridge the plug at the switch to test it. If it was SH it could be faulty. I normally repair the switch rather than replace it. I have tried repairing one once that still wouldn't work the lights, even though it fixed the no crank issue. Is there any adjustment? Some NSS' need to be re-positioned to work the lights. It doesn't take much to for the lights to not work, especially on an old shift lever.

Vsraptor

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs spac ute
Bridge the plug at the switch to test it. If it was SH it could be faulty. I normally repair the switch rather than replace it. I have tried repairing one once that still wouldn't work the lights, even though it fixed the no crank issue. Is there any adjustment? Some NSS' need to be re-positioned to work the lights. It doesn't take much to for the lights to not work, especially on an old shift lever.
Just did the bridge and no lights came on checked the fuse again all is good. Took the fuse out and tested the fuse pins and there is 12.23v. Really stumped

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just did the bridge and no lights came on checked the fuse again all is good. Took the fuse out and tested the fuse pins and there is 12.23v. Really stumped
Test the power at the light socket. Also test the power at the switch. It will be a process of working out where the breakdown is occurring.

Vsraptor

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs spac ute
Will try again tomorrow have tested both sockets and the plugs near the back of the tub and no power also no power at the switch may have to take it to the auto electrical guru in town

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try swapping the fuse. Sometimes they are faulty even though on the back of the fuse you have power.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Yeah, always good to test both sides of the fuse, just to isolate that as the problem.