Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS RPM meter not working

Shtato

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
The RPM meter in my VS statesman does not work, it will work when I first start up the car, then after I accelerate it will flicker up and down for 5 seconds then not work completely, is this a common fault? How could I go about fixing it?

Thanks

-ToM-

Bow Down to the Emperor!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec [EMPIR3]
im guessing cluster is on its last legs. Second hand cluster for a stato should cost you $100 or so, then youd have to fit it

Shtato

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
im guessing cluster is on its last legs. Second hand cluster for a stato should cost you $100 or so, then youd have to fit it

Serious? Damnit, can't I fix it if that's the issue?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
As -ToM- says, it could be the cluster (unless there are ignition problems) - it may be similar to the not un-common non-working temp/fuel gauges caused by dry/broken solder joints on the printed circuit board.
Have you tried a gentle thump on the dash to see if it brings the tacho back to life?

Shtato

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Nobody else has had their RPM meter stop working?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Nobody else has had their RPM meter stop working?

Don't remember seeing one go bung in the 5 years I've been on this forum. Temp and fuel gauges fail or stick but they work on a different principal to the tacho. Legally if you change your cluster you have to have the odometer set to what the old cluster said.
Have you had a new stereo fitted recently or work done on car? - usually faults can be traced back.

Shtato

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Don't remember seeing one go bung in the 5 years I've been on this forum. Temp and fuel gauges fail or stick but they work on a different principal to the tacho. Legally if you change your cluster you have to have the odometer set to what the old cluster said.
Have you had a new stereo fitted recently or work done on car? - usually faults can be traced back.

The thing is I don't want to have to spend $100ish for a replacement cluster, so if I can fix it myself I will, I don't mind getting my hands dirty or playing around with things, no I just got the car recently, I've had no work done to it yet and it still has the original headunit atm.

bryncas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
My rpm doesn't work and my speedo is off by about 10-20k's depending on how fast i'm travelling. saw another post showing how to troubleshoot and fix a faulty speedo will attempt sometime this w/e. btw 1996 VS Ute V6 auto

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
IVe never heared of a factory Tacho do what you descrided but I have seen cheaper gauges do this over the years when the needle becomes loose

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The thing is I don't want to have to spend $100ish for a replacement cluster, so if I can fix it myself I will, I don't mind getting my hands dirty or playing around with things, no I just got the car recently, I've had no work done to it yet and it still has the original headunit atm.

OK - then you need a wiring diagram and trace/check everything from where the signal is generated to the tacho. Gregorys has decent ones though I'm not sure if it covers later Statesmans. Gregorys also covers testing items like the VSS etc. Just make sure when you play with it to disconnect the battery as failure to do so can cause fault codes that can only be erased by Holden - which is what happened to me:whistling
Have fun.