Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS RPM meter not working

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The tacho it self probably wont be faulty. Will be the wires within the loom/connectors or the PCB on the back of the cluster as the most probable place of failure. Seeing that it works on start up it all points to a lose connection some place.

Pull the cluster out and give it a good look over. Tacho connector are Connector 1 #5 & 6 from memory. pink & black wire and maybe brown red. Check them for continuity. (the pin out is on the back of the cluster)

Shtato

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Alright, I pulled the cluster out and had a look at it, one of the loom ports that it plugs into was loose so I put it back in, the rpm meter works but every time I use the breaks it will drop to 0, then go back up when I let go of the break.

Also, I noticed that it said 'Engine - V8' on the sticker on the cluster, my statesman is a v6, could this be a problem?

Last edited:

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
Alright, I pulled the cluster out and had a look at it, one of the loom ports that it plugs into was loose so I put it back in, the rpm meter works but every time I use the breaks it will drop to 0, then go back up when I let go of the break.

Also, I noticed that is said 'Engine - V8' on the sticker on the cluster, my statesman is a v6, could this be a problem?

Maybe its already been changed once before by the previous owner

Shtato

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Am I seriously the first person that has had their RPM meter stop working?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
No - seen em stop before. You will have a short some place. Also the lens may have been changed. The best way to check is the temp gauge will have gren paint on the back of the threads that the nuts go onto. A V6 tacho will work in a V8 and the other way round - just read wrong RPM. So thats not the issue. There is a thread on how to see if you have a V8 tacho - I'll just need to find the link

Cappy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Hi Shtato,
I have had my tacho stop before. I own a vs v6 acclaim. I took my car in to the auto elecy because was having problems with it conking out, turned out was the crank angle sensor. Anyway just got raped 500 bucks i drive off and my tachos not working. I go back and straight away he says your power packs shot. I thought he was having me on just squeeze a few more dollars out. But got a second hand one. he put it in and it was working fine again. So maybe this is your problem.
Good luck buddy
Cappy

Shtato

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Hi Shtato,
I have had my tacho stop before. I own a vs v6 acclaim. I took my car in to the auto elecy because was having problems with it conking out, turned out was the crank angle sensor. Anyway just got raped 500 bucks i drive off and my tachos not working. I go back and straight away he says your power packs shot. I thought he was having me on just squeeze a few more dollars out. But got a second hand one. he put it in and it was working fine again. So maybe this is your problem.
Good luck buddy
Cappy

Hey mate, firstly thanks for the reply, hmm interesting, what is a power pack though? Where is it located and how much does a S/H range from?

Cheers

Shtato

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Need some more info I want this fixed grr.