Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs running like its gunna stall

EZYVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
hi guys, hope someone can help me. Today while driving home my vs suddenly started running very rough and shaked like it was going to stall, i pulled over and put it in park, it idled a bit smoother but not much. When i put it back in drive it got worse again, i drove it home but had bugger all power or acceleration it wouldnt do 80km and was shakeing badly. any help would be appreciated

OzJD

Reaction score
Website
jeltel.com.au
Members Ride
2010 Holden Caprice V II (V8)
if its idling smooth, check coils and sparks.

If it's still missing when smooth, check fuel and spark

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Welcome to the forum. As posted above, first check the electrical side - maybe a plug lead has fallen off the spark plug causing it to miss. Try running the engine tonight in the dark with the bonnet up and look for any sparks caused by leads shorting out.
Maybe more info is also needed like how many Kms or any recent work done on the car. More info means more clues!

EZYVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
thanks for quick response. I checked plugs, leads and coil packs this arvo all seem ok .plugs and leads about 8 months old only done 2000km , have recently replaced CAS and RH oxy sensor and fuel pump, exhaust only 3 months old. i just went to check for spark short in the dark, all looked good engine was running excellent so i went for a short drive it run like norm (good pick up, nice and smooth) i came home left it running went to go again and it got very rough again sounds like a vw and shakes very badly when in gear, when in park not good but not AS bad as in gear. the engine has done 235000km

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Did you look at the engine for electrical leakage after you went for a drive and it ran rough again? - any leakage? May also be a coil or the DFI module - there are test procedures in the Gregorys manual or on this forum (previous threads)

EZYVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
thanks no there were no elec leaks, my wife took it to mec today and he said head gasket is gone but i dont think thats the only issue, he said $1500 to fix, gonna cheak on reco price, anyone know how much i should be lookin at - or the best way to go(fix or replace)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
$1,500 for a head gasket job - ouch.

The head gasket (if not losing coolant) should not be an intermittant engine shake issue)

The running badly from time to time is most probably and electrical issue with the DFI/coils/ECU or on of there connections.

Also worth going over the earths and give some of the wiring a bit of a wiggle to see if the engine runs poorly or not.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You could get another motor from a wrecker for $500 up with a warranty....throw some leak sealer in the coolant and hope it seals,....reco the complete engine $3000....sell your car and buy another at about $3500 for a good one less what you get for yours.
Good Luck.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
do you know how they came to the conclusion of the head gasket being bung did they check for combustion gas in the radiator with a headcheck kit or was it just a guess.ide be looking at the cas again being that its sounds like it does it when it warms up and also check the coolant temp sensor.any reason why you didnt replace both o2 sensors at once maybe the other has got a bit lazy.

EZYVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
the engine has been losin coolant prolly1/4 a litre a fortnight. only replaced rh oxy cenc cos i got code 13 replaced it and got no other fault codes,app mec said head cos coolant was boiling and had to keep adding while the car was running