Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS S boot bobtail removal

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
Hi there, I want to remove the bobtail spoiler off my commodore to repaint it.
There are 3 nuts to remove from inside the boot.
But I am assuming there some form of adhesive between the spoiler and bootlid?
vs lip.jpg
Thanks in advance.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi,
As far as I understand if it is still original fitment from the factory there should be no adhesive as Holden weren't big on using glue on the body. They are fitted pretty much just like the garnish on the boot lid using those soft sealing washers between the item and the body surface so as to stop water entry.

Unfortunately one thing that is rather common is that the nuts on the underside of the boot are subjected to water and rust solidly to the threaded shafts and went attempts to undo the nuts is applied they tear the shaft straight out of the spoiler itself which renders it useless, that's when they get glued on to the boot lid itself.

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
Hi mate thanks for the reply. The nuts on the underside of the boot came off easy, no rust. But the bobtail is still on solid.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not quite sure if there aren't a few more nuts inside the boot lid though ?

BTW have you replaced the tail lights in the vehicle by any chance ?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Most people sikaflex around the 3 holes to prevent water ingress and rust. Try sliding some fishing wire along the underside of the lip. You'll be able to get it off but depending on how well its stuck you may damage the paint on the bootlid.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
I guess I was referring to factory fit and not Crash Shop techniques where Sikaflex is their "go to" tool for everything.

But yes I have to agree fishing line is your best non aggressive tool option in this situation.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yeah my bobtail is part of my bootlid now - i used plenty of sikaflex so that there were no gaps as the aftermarket ones don't fit incredibly well. Had to do a fair bit of reshaping then just resprayed the whole bootlid.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Was at U-pull-it today and can confirm that I saw one that had been removed, again had been fitted by a Crash Shop or thereabouts and it had only the 3 mount points and two full length thin Sikaflex trails from one side to the other. The boot was originally white as could be seen by the removed bobtail and had been painted blue at some later point in time.

So fishing line and patience is all the go I'd say !

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
from factory they used urethane, and lots of it. seen a few of these spoilers get snapped when people haven't managed to cut through the urethane properly, side skirts are held on my it aswell, normally a good 20mm bead of it

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've had a look through my VR supplements in the exterior ornamentation section and have found that yes indeed they used adhesive on the production line when fitting the bobtail.

Hopefully that this definitively clears this topic up.