Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS S Pack - long term ownership report

Pjay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack
Bought the beast August 1995, so it'll have its 14th birthday this August. Last week I replaced the battery, only the second replacement since new. Car has now done 215,000 km.
I was asked about my service history (thanks hako :D), so here goes:
1000 km gearbox replaced due to gear noise in 5th gear, no further problems since.
46,000 engine partially rebuilt with new pistons/rings/bearings. On a trip around Australia, we had a horrible rattle on start up, which turned out to be piston slap. The car was about 5 months out of warranty, but GMH paid for the complete job! The dealer argued for a new short motor, but the motor was rebuilt instead, and it's been very sweet ever since. :thumbsup:
150,000 changed oil in transmission and differential
160,000 replaced most of the front end consumables, struts, tie rod ends, bushes, due to a misdiagnosed noise - turned out to be an unbonded steel in rubber bush at the top of one of the struts, only discovered after I'd spent about a grand, but the front end is tight as new, so all good.

Actually, that's about it! The rest has just been the usual consumables - brake pads, plugs, have changed leads once, brake fluid and coolant changes. Most of the maintenance I have done myself for the last 7 years or so, the car is pretty easy to work on with a Gregory's manual on hand and a decent tool set.
No rust at all, despite being on Bribie Island for the first 4 years, in a salt air environment. Some corrosion around the battery tray area that I repaired and has not reoccured. Still have the original windscreen.

Economy has been sensational, as high as 37 mpg, regularly 36mpg on trips. She likes a drink around town. 700 km on trips, down to 450km just around town.
My only modification was a set of white alloys (15" was okay in 1995!!!!!) because I didn't like the silver S pack mags. An aftermarket cruise control helps ease the pain in my right leg ( two episodes of multiple compound fractures from motorcycle crashes, that's another story...)

I bought the car with the intention of keeping it for 15 years, but I can think of no reason to sell it.

Attachments

• 27.12g.jpg
    27.12g.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 740

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Nice car mate.
ps, hows the steering rack, are the boots oily ? just replaced my rack due to leaks.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
That's the beauty of looking after these cars from new - they come out the other end flawless :)

I always look for a car with a good, transparent service history. I've been lucky with the two I've bought :) That car should give you another 15 years of trouble-free motoring with any luck ^_^ Probably change some of the "known issues" at around 250-300,000km, like the harmonic balancer, all the sensors, fuel pump... but they're damn good cars if you treat 'em right ^_^

Congrats to you - she's still a looker after all these years! (and so's the car). ;)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Great report Pjay - your fuel usage is much better than mine....I was thinking of changing the O2 sensors but you can buy a lot of fuel for what they cost.
Regards.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
VS II V6 Manual Long Term Report

Interesting reading.

I bought a VS II Manual V6 Executive with Dual IRS, ABS, IRS and AIRCON in early 1997. Had cruise control fitted straight away. Also fitted a Level 3 cluster some years later.

I have since moved on to a VY II Exec and now VE SV6, but the VS is still in the family. It has covered well over 200,000 Km.

Warranty problems:

Just one. One of the pulley wheels for the serpentine belt was replaced.

Later problems:

1. Pressure plate gave out around 9.5 years. Replaced the dual mass flywheel and put a clutch kit in. Total cost was $1,400. Considered moving to a solid flywheel (would have cost $1,100 and so cheaper), but decided to stay standard.

2. AIRCON compressor gave out at around 11 years. Replaced with a new one.

3. Around 10 years, the power steering pump started to leak. This was fixed for a matter of dollars by replacing seals.

While I was driving it, I would get between 7.4 and 7.8L/100KM on the open road, including heavily laden going on holidays. This figure was achieved by driving at the speed limit where ever possible. Best that I got was 6.8L/100Km travelling from Tenterfield to Sydney with only a light load.

Around town, I used to get between 9.5 and 10.5L/100Km.

It remains one of my favourite cars, and I see no reason why it will not continue on for many years to come.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
sweet...glad to know that I've bought a good car haha