Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs s2 calais v8 1996

Calais_96

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs calais s2 v8
Hey guys, I’d like some opinions on my car, it’s not a super rare classic but I think it does have potential.

it’s a 96 Vs s2 calais v8, low kms with books. 169,000kms it’s just under gone a respray so it looks quite nice now, engine is very responsive, trans is good, put an lsd in it, decent sound system sub amps ect ect. Still on its original wheels, in good condition. Only real down fall with the car is it’s interior, does need some love, car sat for 7 years in the hot summers and the leather has seen better day’s.
will upload pics some time today.

Calais_96

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs calais s2 v8
upload_2020-2-6_3-35-27.jpeg

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Exterior likes good, interior shots will be interesting. A 'super rare classic' ? Close to being one.

I am assuming (good word, usually wrong) that the leather is dirty. If it so, pull the seats out, and give them a scrub with a very mild soap and a fine bristled scrubbing brush, rinsing with clean water as you go.
Then go a Horseland, or a similar saddle supply place and get some ‘Oakwood’ leather treatment and work it into the leather, let it sit in the sun to soak in and polish off a day later.
My advice, do not use what you get from auto stores, I have used two well known brands that caused me hours of grief to remove.
If the leather is cracked, split and worn ….. time to find a good motor trimmer with your fat wallet in hand. Or ask Mr Google for ready made replacement covers.

Calais_96

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs calais s2 v8
Exterior likes good, interior shots will be interesting. A 'super rare classic' ? Close to being one.

I am assuming (good word, usually wrong) that the leather is dirty. If it so, pull the seats out, and give them a scrub with a very mild soap and a fine bristled scrubbing brush, rinsing with clean water as you go.
Then go a Horseland, or a similar saddle supply place and get some ‘Oakwood’ leather treatment and work it into the leather, let it sit in the sun to soak in and polish off a day later.
My advice, do not use what you get from auto stores, I have used two well known brands that caused me hours of grief to remove.
If the leather is cracked, split and worn ….. time to find a good motor trimmer with your fat wallet in hand. Or ask Mr Google for ready made replacement covers.

thanks for the feedback!! I’ll get some interior pics in the next few days, the seats are cracked, leather is split, mainly the 2 front seats, back seats have held up nicely, I’m pretty keen to get the interior redone on it, but just need to save the $$. In the mean time I’ve been on the look out for some decent 2nd hand seats. Want to keep the car original as it can be.

Calais_96

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs calais s2 v8
upload_2020-2-6_13-6-36.jpeg

this is it when I got it, had been sitting for 7/8 years, wasn’t running, turned out it needed a new fuel pump, and as soon as I put it in it fired up!! Serviced it, and it ran beautifully, definitely come along way since I got it.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Nice, looks good exterior wise. Engine bay should clean up easily.
Get rid of that pod filter= just sucking hot air and ( personally , they look crap).
Go back to original or the mace cai is good a good choice.

Calais_96

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs calais s2 v8
Nice, looks good exterior wise. Engine bay should clean up easily.
Get rid of that pod filter= just sucking hot air and ( personally , they look crap).
Go back to original or the mace cai is good a good choice.

thanks mate, yeah I’m not a fan of the pod filter too, but the car doesn’t get driven that much so havnt made plans yet to put the stock one back on. Will get around to it at some stage. I’m interested in what people think there worth, I see clubys, senators, people asking 20k here and there for them, would I be an idiot asking 10k for this calais?

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
The mace cai is worth it ,especially as you don't have the standard airbox.
Sounds like you like it.
Don't know what they're worth = haven't looked .
Probably worth more the closer to standard they are.
But really if short term ownership keep as standard as possible and in as good nic as possible/ improvement and enjoy use/ ownership until sell.

WHAT IS IT WORTH TO YOU BOTH USE/OWNERSHIP WISE VERSUS INVESTMENT WISE

Thinking about it, there's 6 vs maloos on Carsales = cheapest 14500 , dearest 35000 asking prices !!!
It's not worth it to anyone else ( I have # 153 vs series I) but give me 75000k = absolutely never going to happen, but atm my position I don't recon I'd part with it for less.
But that's because I absolutely love owning and using it.

Last edited:

Calais_96

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs calais s2 v8
The mace cai would be a great upgrade, there not that expensive too, just read some reviews on them, everyone says there great!
I will Probaly hold on to the calais, hard to come across with low kms including books,
I don’t want to make the same mistake again; I sold my 215i Vs Senator for $7500 in 2016, lucky to get one for under 30k now days!! And that had 280kms on it great car!! Miss it.
Future plans for the calais will be to tint the windows, white walls, venetians, full interior do over, and when the time is right, stroker!!!!

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Is this the one that was advertised on Gumtree for around 10K and ended up selling for around 2K just recently. It was originally being sold at Christies Beach and a flipper picked it up really cheap and thought he was going to make a killing, which incidentally he didn't ?