Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS S2 Instrument cluster into S3

Da_Street_Sleepa

YAY!! BONGOS :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
just a quickie, how do u get rid of that disgusting Green dial backgrounds, id rather put LED's in there also, i want sorta blue'ish dials

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
So with the level 3 cluster, i know it has all the digital lcds across the bottom, i don't need to wire anything else in to make them work?

I got everything I needed to do the level 3 from 88greenvn (2 posts up). Not sure if he still does the looms and clusters though....

just a quickie, how do u get rid of that disgusting Green dial backgrounds, id rather put LED's in there also, i want sorta blue'ish dials

Very lightly sand the back to remove all the green, change globes to whichever colour. Lot of people end up with hotspots after doing it though. Do a search, there is quite a few threads

Da_Street_Sleepa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute

Orgman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
I did the blue led conversion thing on my cluster and while the green was gone the red didn't light up very well with the blue leds. See the first pic.

What I did was sandpaper the green film of the back of the cluster plates (Don't sand the bits that you want to stay red) and used a translucent blue paint on the bits I wanted to highlight as blue. You need to give it about 6 to 7 coats.

I replaced the blue leds with white leds and now I have blue with the original red back on the cluster.

IMAG0140[1].jpgIMAG0149[1].jpgIMAG0148[1].jpgIMAG0152[1].jpgIMAG0156[1].jpg

Da_Street_Sleepa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
MATE!!!!, thats FRIGGIN' xactly what i was looking for, damn that looks good

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I got everything I needed to do the level 3 from 88greenvn (2 posts up). Not sure if he still does the looms and clusters though....

I've got about 6 dash looms left and then that will probably be it - hang up the wire strippers and take a more lay'd back approach to life.

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman, 2013 VE II SV6 Thunder Ute.
I did the blue led conversion thing on my cluster and while the green was gone the red didn't light up very well with the blue leds. See the first pic.

What I did was sandpaper the green film of the back of the cluster plates (Don't sand the bits that you want to stay red) and used a translucent blue paint on the bits I wanted to highlight as blue. You need to give it about 6 to 7 coats.

I replaced the blue leds with white leds and now I have blue with the original red back on the cluster.

View attachment 163845View attachment 163842View attachment 163843View attachment 163844View attachment 163846

You sir just made my day!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing how you didn't end up with any hotspots. How did you make the needles white?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Orgman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
I made the needles white by cleaning the orange crap with acetone. Careful doing this as you don't want to stain the clear plastic. I used cotton ear buds for the job. Then I grabbed the chain and balls' white nail polish and painted it to the back to get the white look. Not my idea as I got this from another thread somewhere here on the forum. Good luck.

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman, 2013 VE II SV6 Thunder Ute.
I made the needles white by cleaning the orange crap with acetone. Careful doing this as you don't want to stain the clear plastic. I used cotton ear buds for the job. Then I grabbed the chain and balls' white nail polish and painted it to the back to get the white look. Not my idea as I got this from another thread somewhere here on the forum. Good luck.

Sweet. So if I want red needles I simply have to paint them red I'm guessing. Gonna be attempting this myself this weekend :)

Last edited:

Orgman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
Sweet. So if I want red needles I simply have to paint them red I'm guessing. Gonna be attempting this myself this weekend :)

Post some pics when ya finished. Cheers