Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS s2 slowly losing coolant

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Hytes said:
Hako, this is exactly what is happening to mine at the moment, chalky deposits on top right hand side of sump (looking front on). Tried to see exactly where this is coming from. Have to top radiator up every 3 or so days, would this definately be a water pump problem? Is the water pump hard to replace?

Sounds like it for sure (well, 99%). Try to get a small mirror under and around the pump - where the shaft goes into the pump body and underneath where there is a 'weep hole'. Look for the dried deposits.

To change the pump is simple. Loosen the 4 bolts holding W/P pulley to W/P, remove the serpentine belt, undo W/P pulley bolts to enable access to 6 or so bolts hoding W/P to engine block. Remove pump, scrape old gasket away, instal new pump/gasket with no sealant and bolt her up. You may want to replace the coolant at the same time and maybe the thermostat but if the coolant is fairly new just catch it in a bucket and reuse. Same with the thermostat if fairly new although they can last the life of the car. Remember to bleed air from the cooling system via the bleed screw on the thermostat housing. Take your time doing it and you will have no hassles.
Good Luck.
ps....The series 1 VS has a different W/P to the series 2 so make sure they sell you the correct W/P....cost is about $110

auc05l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Deicide said:
My cars been losing coolant, mainly after driving. I turn engine off and slow driping of coolant underneath car near the back of the engine. I have to top it up every 4 or so weeks. so you might wanna check if yours is doing the same.
I just repaired this same problem on my GF's VR V6. on the back of the inlet manafold there is a little push in fitting for your heater hose to go on held in with a small 6mm bolt. When removed it was broken around the "o"ring groove. Holden had one in stock, :confused: $15 and $7 for the oring. They said they keep them in stock as they are quite popular. Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

Last edited: