Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs senator 215i what to do next

Jpw23456

Reaction score
Members Ride
Na
Hi all

i have a vs senator 215i , I have owned this for 18 months and looking to get some more power

currently stock with pacemakers and exhaust done I believe it might have a small cam and tu done previously

looking to keep it as simple as possible and potentially chip away over time not looking for a 10 second car maybe 400-450 hp what should I be looking at ?

I was thinking manifold, diff gears , larger cam and stall converter , what brands and sizes I have no idea .

thanks

H

harrop.senator

Lol at only looking for 4-450 rwhp. My 215's lucky to make 350 with 10.5:1 comp , a big hydraulic cam and single plane hi rise manifold.

You want those numbers? Solid cam and a side mount whirly bird.

Cheaper mods , deck heads .60-80 thou , twin throttle manifold and an f280c.

If keeping stock manifold or even aftermarket without having to plasticine and fark around a whole heap. Deck heads 30-40 thou so don't have to deck stock manifold. A reverse split cam in the 220-230 degree @ .050 and tune. Couple that with 3.7-3.9 gears and a 3200+ stall you have an 12 second car on drag radials.

If going an aftermarket manifold the decent roller cams or a good flat tappet may crack 11's.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Realistically drop the banana manifold and fit a supercharger.
It should go nice with your stock compression and small cam already fitted.

Plus can be returned to stock easier if desirability is for that in future years.

Jpw23456

Reaction score
Members Ride
Na
Lol at only looking for 4-450 rwhp. My 215's lucky to make 350 with 10.5:1 comp , a big hydraulic cam and single plane hi rise manifold.

You want those numbers? Solid cam and a side mount whirly bird.

Cheaper mods , deck heads .60-80 thou , twin throttle manifold and an f280c.

If keeping stock manifold or even aftermarket without having to plasticine and fark around a whole heap. Deck heads 30-40 thou so don't have to deck stock manifold. A reverse split cam in the 220-230 degree @ .050 and tune. Couple that with 3.7-3.9 gears and a 3200+ stall you have an 12 second car on drag radials.

If going an aftermarket manifold the decent roller cams or a good flat tappet may crack 11's.
What sort of dollars am in looking at for this setup ?

H

harrop.senator

Cam kits about $1200 for a solid which will include the pushrods , valve springs , retainers , locks , cam and adjustable roll master timing kit.
Head's I'd budget around $5-800 for a simple refresh. ( Polish valves , machine for viton seals , reseat valves , hot tank , deck , install valve springs and re assemble.)

Rockers $700 for adjustable.

Aftermarket intake manifold and throttle body is around $1500 new.

Tune around $1000.

Custom torque converter $900-1300.

Rebuilt diff with genuine gears and a good LSD around $2000.

Drag radial pair in 15-16" is $6-700. Chinese 265/35-18 semi slicks around $300 the pair.

May want to only run a 272 if go solid as will be better under the curve with only milling heads and the low comp factory pistons.

All of this should go an 11 second pass with a lot of time , tweaking and improvement.

If you want to be cheaper about it heads will cost the same as before but can go a hydraulic flat tappet 286 kit for around $1100. Works with stock rockers okay or the cheaper $450 rockers as don't need to adjust them.

And Joe from ace tuning does a mail order memcal for $350 .

With a stock manifold and lots of time and practice you should be able to cut into the high 12's on a stock manifold with that combination or a healthy 12 with an aftermarket intake manifold.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If you want 450hp.
355 stroker or 383 you can get short blocks from pavtec. Then fit some edelbrock heads or torque power heads.
I did have a camtech part number that was suited but they're gone but any cam supplier will be able to give you a cam based on your comp and head flow.
Then all you need is a torque power dual plane with the injector bosses cut. Note you'll need to order alloy heads with injector notches.
Then get some yella terra rockers and some good pushrods.
You should be able to run 11:1 comp with alloy heads letting you use a bigger cam making use of the extra head flow.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Supercharged is only way you'll get 400hp to 500hp out of it & keep it nice to drive but you'll probably need to cam change & other mods to engine plus auto rebuild + convertor especially if you want it streetable.

Going ham on n/a stroker/auto would ruin what a senator is meant to be...a luxury car that is nice to drive with performance afterthought.

Personally I'd just do 3.7 diff gears,usual transgo shiftkit,corvette servo + boost valve....basically anything that keeps it looking factory or reversible mods 'cos if you move the car on next owner will want it to atleast look factory & drive nice otherwise what's the point in it being a Hsv.