Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Senator - Door Allingment

Jpw23456

Reaction score
Members Ride
Na
Hi All

Seeking some advice on how to allign the front passangers door to the front quarter panel.

2 things

Can i adjust the way the door sits ?
Can i adjust the front qtr panel ? I think this might be the issue

Thanks

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
There is absolutely no user adjustment available to the actual doors apart from hinge pin replacement.

It seems you may have the same issue as I wrote about recently on here where Holden suffered from some poor welding practices on the door assembly line where one half of the hinge was welded on a faction too high thus the door sits evenly low. The only way to remedy this is to machine the top surface of the fixture and pack it up on the lower section of this component, thus this will lift the door in to line.

I have to ask how is the alignment between the front and rear door looking or is it just the front door and front Guard that's the issue. If it is I'd say the front guard may have been involved in some sort of previous skirmish.

More info and photos would most certainly help.

Jpw23456

Reaction score
Members Ride
Na
I agree 100% with your assessment , i believe it has been in a
sen.jpg
ccident over the years

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wiggle the door in the almost closed position if it has movement in the hinges then time for new pins, which is the most common issue with alignment. There is some adjustment in the guard, I had to adjust mine as it was involved in a front hit at some point and was poorly put back together.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have a look at your lower rad support panel. If you have panels out of alignment then it may have been a home repair job if it was in an accident at some point. Sometimes home jobs don't get the rad support replaced and it is just bashed out and no longer perfect. If it was a prof job all the panels should be lining up spot on.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
If it was a prof job all the panels should be lining up spot on.

That's a pretty out there statement. It's clearly obvious that you haven't worked in the Crash Repair Industry then Losh. LOL !!;););)

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
As far as that image shows what needs to be done is to loosen the lower bolt behind that lower skirt and the guard will require some massaging downwards.

The other option is to source another secondhand guard that's bonafide undamaged and fit it. If it lines up as it should you'll need to get that guard painted to match the car.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Didn’t they come out of the factory with crap panel gaps when compared to jap cars of the day? If so, repair the hinge pins if the are worn and leave gaps at their factory quality :eek: I’ve heard that restored to factory standard, it must be worth more :p

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That's a pretty out there statement. It's clearly obvious that you haven't worked in the Crash Repair Industry then Losh. LOL !!;););)
Yes well I would have thought a crash shop should be doing exceptionally good work compared to home bods. But having experienced average mechanical work I guess I should already come to realise that most crash shops are paid by insurance Cos that are told do the job as cheap as possible...... I might be a bit naive thinking that a crash shop should be able to align all the panels perfect.
Heck mine were poorly aligned but a novice painter and mechanics arsehole, at best am I, and I now have them looking pretty good.......

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Heck mine were poorly aligned but a novice painter and mechanics arsehole, at best am I, and I now have them looking pretty good.......
All the skill in the world, if not applied, will always result in a **** job :eek:

Yet pride in what one does can overcome any lack of skill and result in a good job done :cool: