Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Ser II V6 engine problems

Sara Pax

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Wagon and 2007 6 litre Calais V
I just noticed the other day while i was fitting my trailer onto the back of the car that the exhaust note had that typical 1 missed beat sound
As in a Burnt Valve sound or even just 1 cylinder not firing
The engine seems smooth when running, but feels a bit gutless compared to the VR i have
Its done maybe 300K
Uses little oil
I was considering a top end freshen up
I guess a compression test will tell me the condition of the Heads and Rings
Fuel Injectors dirty?
Leaking manifold gaskets
Anyone else had a similar problem

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Like you say, a compression test will reveal all. Otherwise I'd check or change the plugs and leads as they are always prime suspects. Once you go to removing heads, replacing injectors etc you are talking substantial money which I have an aversion to.
After doing 300,000km (the same as driving around the world at the Equator almost 8 times) you could excuse a miss or two but if it's regular I guess it would be wise to investigate. Good Luck.

Sara Pax

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Wagon and 2007 6 litre Calais V
A top end reco isnt hard to do
But these modern engines have so many little sensors, etc compared to the old engines

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
i'd start with the obvious as hako said. check leads, plugs, air filter, MAF, clean throttle body and IAC, and try some injector cleaner just for luck. Just don't touch the TPS !!
Then reset the ECU and see how u go.

RedGoesFaster97VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Executive S II
Im having the same issue atm, and its just had plugs and leads changed - its using ALOT of coolant and my dad has just replaced some gaskets for the intake manifold (i think) on his vs excuse me if im wrong im a newbie at this,he thinks mine has the same problem, and i was just wondering if anybody could explain this to me a bit more?? hope that made sense - i never claimed to know what i was talking about LOL

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The gasket between the intake manifold and the block can fail due age or corrosion (of manifold) especially if the correct coolant has not been used. Once it starts leaking it will usually be visible along the side of the manifold and also parts of the manifold that you cannot see ....meaning coolant leaks into the sump and/or into the intake and is sucked into the combustion chambers where it can cause a miss or two.
If you are using coolant and you've checked the water pump then that's the next place to look.
Not sure if my car is typical but I never need to top up the coolant more than once every 2 years and even then it will only be about 500ml.
Good Luck.

RedGoesFaster97VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Executive S II
i can see coolant has leaked onto the sump but not sure if its gone into it, i havent checked the water pump, how can i check if its working or not?? OMFG 500mls in 2 years, im going through a bottle a week :S