Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Series 2 engine rattle?

warples

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Ute
Hi everyone, first time on the site and posting.

First of all this forum seems to have absolutely everything and am happy to be registered.

The problem i have is with a rattle in the engine of my Ute, i first thought it may have been a pulley rattling so i removed the serpentine belt eliminating the pulleys and it still rattles, it seems to blend in when the revs slightly pic up but once idleing again it is still there, i removed the rocker covers and the plenum cover and everything is as normal there, I have a video and hopefully someone can give me some advice on what may be the prob, the engine has been faultless since i purchased it with 260XXXks and has now around 400XXX ks, i open to all advice and thankyou in advance for any help or posts, Cheers Mick

Last edited by a moderator:

warples

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Ute
Also the noise seems to be more prominent under the intake, the engine has not lost any power and does not miss a beat. Thanks again.

Cpt Awesome

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 S II HBD VY SS , 04 VY S II Executive
Just an idea but are your engine mounts healthy and fastened proper? Mine had a bit of a similar symptom and my engine mount was split right through lol

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Not very clear on the vid but it does sound sick, I would say:
* Harmonic Balaner
* Timing Chain
* Munched Cam Lobe/Bearing
* Balancer Shaft (very common on high km eco's)

Get an oil pressure gauge or take it to a mechanic to get oil pressure tested, this will give a better indication

My bet though would be either Harmonic Balancer or Balancer Shaft (both are relatively easy to fix, if balancer shaft just remove the gear for it under timing cover to disable it)

warples

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Ute
Just an idea but are your engine mounts healthy and fastened proper? Mine had a bit of a similar symptom and my engine mount was split right through lol

Thanks for the reply, the engine mounts were replaced about 3 months ago and are nice and tight. Cheers

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
dunno sounds a bit like a loose/slack timing chain ....hell if my motor got to 400+ K id just be happy and start saving for a rebuild :)

warples

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Ute
Not very clear on the vid but it does sound sick, I would say:
* Harmonic Balaner
* Timing Chain
* Munched Cam Lobe/Bearing
* Balancer Shaft (very common on high km eco's)

Get an oil pressure gauge or take it to a mechanic to get oil pressure tested, this will give a better indication

My bet though would be either Harmonic Balancer or Balancer Shaft (both are relatively easy to fix, if balancer shaft just remove the gear for it under timing cover to disable it)

Cheers mate, ill def need to do something as it it starting to rattle a bit now and is getting to me a bit, and i need the ute for work each day(travel only) and dont have any other transport. Thanks again.

warples

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Ute
dunno sounds a bit like a loose/slack timing chain ....hell if my motor got to 400+ K id just be happy and start saving for a rebuild :)

Hey wozza, the engine has copped a fair thrashing over time and surprised it has not died but this is the first time it has developed any probs for me, Got lucky i think. Mate do you know roughly what sort of coin i would be looking at to rebuild and is it fine to just remove the balancer shaft and not replace it if that was found to be damaged, or its obviously in there for a reason and needs replacing. Thankyou

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Hey wozza, the engine has copped a fair thrashing over time and surprised it has not died but this is the first time it has developed any probs for me, Got lucky i think. Mate do you know roughly what sort of coin i would be looking at to rebuild and is it fine to just remove the balancer shaft and not replace it if that was found to be damaged, or its obviously in there for a reason and needs replacing. Thankyou

If in doubt take it to a mech asap and get confirmation, it could be something simple that will get worse by driving further......might be something you can catch before it makes things worse

I wouldn't be driving it until I knew what was wrong with it

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi Mate
Dunno depends on where you go and how much you can do yourself...a lot of ppl just find a low K donner car a swap out the drive train
it all depends how attached to the chassis you are :)
Do a search on here for balance shaft, you just remove the drive gear...the engine will vibrate a little more at idle also whilst your there you can check the timing chain tensioner is still there and the chain is not stretched..
other things it could/might be flex plate, cam bearings...hell the list is large :) mines only done 220K and rattles for the first few min when cold..... Ive just gotten use to it :)