Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Series II Carputer

harmer56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Hi all
After some searching i've seen that a couple of other people on these forums have installed a carputer in their commodores. I put one in my VS Series II about 5 months ago.... 3,000 MP3's, GPS, Video, all that good stuff.
Anyways, the progress is documented here http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=955616#post955616 with pics etc.
For anyone that is looking into doing a carputer, the forums on MP3car.com are an invaluable resource

harmer56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Here's a couple of pics
car12zc.jpg

dscf05968kh.jpg

dscf06047ne.jpg

Cooper6969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
Hey nice work mate!
instead of keeping your old head unit have you thought about getting a tv tuner with FM radio, can get em pretty cheap these days.

harmer56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Thanks mate
It took a lot of work but the end result was well worth it.
In regards to the TV tuner, i originally thought about getting a TV tuner but was told that the reception is pretty poor when the car is moving (also need to find somewhere to mount the aerial). The head unit is mounted under the seat now and since it came with a remote, it is quite easy to just switch between the carputer and the head unit when i want to listen to the radio

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
limo style boot antenna or Japanese style twin whip antennas( see below ) coming out from the back top corners of the rear doors

-edit-

it'd be hard to find but a laptop sized USB powered external drive ( Imation did one ages back ) might of been the better idea for disk input under the screen. that or just add a wireless USB dongle and transfer from your PC that way....... movies and all?

( twin whip antennas, ignore the booster. http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Out-Car-V-D...45QQihZ011QQcategoryZ1498QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem )

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
hey there harmer56, nice work on the carputer. I have one i'm planning out for my VS Commodore also, so you can definitely expect some pm's in the months to come, most likely in regards to physical installation than hardware though. Anyways, if you do any more work on it keep us posted, i'm interested :)

harmer56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Hey Brycestro...fell free to PM me, I'd be more than happy to help, it's good to see someone else having a go at a carputer.
I'll be doing some more work on mine in the near future (gotta get though uni exams first) just cleaning up some of the wiring and re-doing the bezel around the screen to fix up the small imperfections that really showed up once i painted it.

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
ah cool make sure to add some more pics. I'm on uni holidays now and hence i have some time to dabble.

harmer56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
More Pics

Ok, here's some updated pics with everything in the car
dscf0617va1.jpg

The Glovebox!!!!!! An absolute mess...might get sorted out one day. Kinda hard because i wanted to have all the plugs at the front so that i could easily remove/add stuff, but having them at the front means that the wires have to run over the rest of the computer
dscf0619zn5.jpg

This is a pic of the mounting location (Passenger side dash) for the wireless and GPS reciever
dscf0622lm3.jpg

NOT HAPPY :ranting: !!!! Some f*&^wit broke my aerial off at work on wednesday so i've gotta replace that now
dscf0625wo9.jpg

Man you are lucky that you have already finished your uni exams....mine run till the 28th Nov (but them i'm finished FOREVER!!!:yeah: ) so nothing much will be happening with my car until after then

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
the user hakhawk also has a pretty nice setup for a carPC also.