Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs Series III V6 Ecotec Engine Rattle

madded11

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Series 3 Ecotec Ute
Recently bought a series 3 vs v6 ute that didn't drive. After a few seconds it was obvious the last guy that owned it tried to replace the clutch. Being that he didn't know his face from his a*** about cars.. he put it in wrong.

So after fixing the clutch issue, I fired it up to find a rattle coming from the left side rockers. So I pulled the intake manifold off to find that two of the yellow funnels on the end of the injectors had fallen off and were going on a joy ride on the top of the intake valves.

But now after I have reassembled the motor there is a louder rattle/grind noise with a slight miss and Shudder on sharp acceleration. Sounds like it is coming from the rear right hand side now.. and it isn't any of the previous problems.. Ideas?

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
push it of a cliff. its been flogged out.

madded11

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Series 3 Ecotec Ute
That's more of a temporary fix. Resulting in massive issues.. lets just stick to the problems at hand eh?

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Jeez that's quite a series of events.... Clearly this dude has had a crack at everything and sort of failed miserably.... In terms of noise I think you need to try and isolate it, find a way to make the noise on que, find out if it happens when stationary or moving or both find out its location find out the circumstances ie wot or partial throttle or idle or all, hot cold warm etc etc then use a screw driver held up to your ear and listen to individual components with the screw driver touching them. As for the the misfiring that can be pretty much anything again u need to narrow it down what throttle positions driving stationary isolate it to a cylinder or 2 or 6 check resistances check spark change fuel filter listen to injectors with screw driver listen to any abnormalities in solenoid operation etc etc

magemx

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE 3.0L SIDI Sportswagon International
Yep, rattle is not always equal to death. Since you mentioned "rattle" instead of "knock" or "tapping". But a rattle/grind is sound is how I would also describe a failed HB (harmonic balancer).

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Tapping/ticking is alright, rattles less so, and knocks mean it's pretty much game over. My last motor had a knock and wouldn't even maintain 100km going up a hill anymore. Does it only happen when the car is in motion? Or at idle? A manual ecotec will have been flogged without a doubt.

Bowen has given some great advice. Answers to those questions are what we need.

A video might make it easier for us to help you out.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
best bet is to pull it out and drop the sump , called be a shot big end bearing , I be stripping the motor or get a second hand one. it defiantly been abused and needs some LTC.

if that don't work use a bigger hammer.