Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS series lll V8 5spd ute cam package

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah that's a lot of money for 20kws if you ask me. Might as well do the whole bottom end at the same time. Like where does it stop?

I'm really keen to see how this goes cause I'm battling with wanting to do a cam on mine or the whole lot. But as above, money is the issue.
I know, I have already had both sets of crank bearings replaced, sump gasket and RM replaced, along with new chain and gears, fortunately I have good compression. Although I kinda wish I had the heads slipped off while the bearings were done and a fresh set of rings fitted, But at the time I was a bit short and was already up for $1300 in labor alone......hahahaha I would have had another $300 labor plus another $1500 in heads and rings, all when I was on a fairly low wage...... Soon as you start modding or overhauling an engine it doesn't take long for the bill to go sky high....

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Nice ute

Bang for buck a cam is good value for money, head work, not so much, unless you are running for sheep stations, and really need 0.1.

Meh, the 1/4 will tell more than any dyno will.

Post up your results.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
@Timbo I'll add I have also just spent another $450 on lifters and VRS. You're exactly right where do you stop, lol. Trouble is a good cond low km engine is hard to find these days. I'm expecting some decent torque gains with the new heads, 1.9s made really decent difference on my bus, comp increase with fresh top end I suspect will be felt in the pedal a bit. On a street bus torque is where it's at. 20rwkw may not be much on a decent V8 but on a V6 that stock sits around 93kw, it's a fair percentage.

Anyway I will try not to choke up your build thread with what I'm doing. I'm keen to hear how your bus performs with the cam. :)

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
You'll get more mid range out of small/mild cam swap but be prepared not to high expectations as you'll already know the low compression ratio is what really holds back all the other mods on the ol' 304.

Don't necessarily need stroker or ported heads on street car BUT decent compression ratio for intended cam will make way more of a difference with usual bolt on mods.

That being said I'd prefer to think you're keeping stock compression ration for blower or turbo down the track :cool:

Timbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute V8 manual & Vl walkinshaw
So pretty much everything installed and started her up !!! Sounds killer... booked in for a tune next Thursday .. Will drive it tomorrow around the block and test it out. Hope it doesn't blow up:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201022-170045_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201022-170045_Gallery.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Weld or centre punch the hole closed.

Other trick is chain oil feeder..depending on what comfortable with crush hole further or block it completely as some builders believe there is enough oil splash happening in timing cover & coming up from sump the above are considered oil leaks/pressure drops.

Another cool trick seen but yet to do is small roll pins in ends of pushrods to limit amount oil into rocker covers...more suited for roller rockers tbh

Do some research & do what you feel comfortable with.

Yeah if you have a quality modern timing chain with roller style links it won't need an oil deluge to live. I'd block the chain oiler at a minimum.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I'm old fart in 40's even now still learning new things on oil mods etc for the beloved 304.

Like the cam bearing info on different type of materials with high lift cams/springs on AV8 kavesh rebuild thread...never thought about yet a spin out.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Never to old to learn :)

Reactions: Lex

Timbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ute V8 manual & Vl walkinshaw
Hey guys been told you are ment to set your ecu to service mode when setting up the timing .. can anyone confirm this ? Cheers

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
As in bridge pins 5 & 6 then check timing is 10 degrees = yes,sticker on strut tower has info on it also iirc

Can still trip out fault codes if it doesn't like cam with stock memcal tune.