Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS SL/R 5000 does exist

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
~ but without doubt the VL Calais had the best ever installed, especially at night when illuminated.

I assume you mean VK Calais...

vk-dash2-jpg.128871

The VL Calais was nothing to write home about...

$_20.JPG

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I assume you mean VK Calais...

No I actually meant the VL dash which you have as the second photo. That VK dash was nothing more than a huge money spinner for Holden along with a huge amount of embarrassment. It got so bad that they set up an exchange program for these ill-fated things where you brought yours in and they gave you a repaired change over from some one else's car.

As far as the VL dash is concerned I've always along with many other folk felt that they were a really crisp and sharp looking set of gauges.The only thing that was odd was the speedo being on the left side and the tacho on the right.

I personally like this one you show better than the Series II which actually was a Brock Group A dash that was then used in the S2 VL's, remembering that the Brock VL's were all October 1986 built cars from the Dandenong Plant which was still Series I while Series 2 didn't come out until September 1987.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh well I always thought it looked ok and thousands of VL followers can't be wrong now can they ??

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Oh well I always thought it looked ok and thousands of VL followers can't be wrong now can they ??

Well, they do think the front of the car looks good too o_O

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's all about the complete package with the VL and the whole dash layout is just one part of it all.

I must admit when it was first released and I saw the first full page advertising spread in our paper the first thing I thought is that now they finally have it looking really good with the sleek low frontage opposed to the dated boofy fat front previously used and that bobtail on the rear was just so classy. Then the dash layout was a fantastic modernising of a 70's dated theme.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Looks like it has interstate rego. That could be a problem if it has any faults.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Looks like it has interstate rego. That could be a problem if it has any faults.
No problems getting rego in SA for it. I have taken 2 QLD vehicles for SA rego and they just checked engine and body numbers matched with the last rego state. The only bad part is you can't make an appointment, just turn up and wait an hour or more for your turn at the 1 and only SA inspection station.

If rego has expired, it will need a permit or trailer. Have seen inspections done without the vehicle even leaving the trailer.