Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Sound Advice

Maaate

hows it goin?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
G'day Guys,
I was just wonderign for some advice for my sound setup, not going for any huge mainly due to a bit of a tight budget, can spend a few hundred but dont wanna go overboard ya know, I also dont really know much.
OK well ive already got a deck, its a Pioneer DEH-P355OMP, n some 5" Pioneers, TS-A1680S, i dunno if either of em are any good but they'll do for me. ok so was planning on puttin the 5"s in the front doors n like some 6"s in the rear mainly coz i dont wanna cut anything out. So was just wondering what speakers to buy for the back and if they 5ers will do for the front.
Any advice would be great,
Cheers

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
dont bother with 5s, 6" speakers fit fine in the door pods.

Maaate

hows it goin?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
yeah just checked em out n they are 6"s not 5"s, so yeah would that sound alright but having 6"s in the back aswell?

statey1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman
Yeh u want minimum 6ers. But then again u don't need to go top of the range. just look at getting a sub & amp pack, then wind the bass down a bit on the head unit, and wind it up a bit on the amp. Bass is the main thing that distorts audio, and by using a sub for the bass, u will find u can crank it loud with less bass distortion.
I just got a $70 sub/amp box and using stock VR speakers....sounds fine

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
yup it does sound ok. but unfortunately there will be a BIG gap where the mid-range used to be. subs cant fill that and neither can un-amped 6 inch speakers.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
If you're only gonna be spending a couple of hundred on splits/speakers, then they should fit fine. Once you get into 6.5" or the more expensive speakers, then the magnets are chunkier and you might start ahving troubles with them fitting.

Also, i agree with garfa, you're going to have a big gap between your midbass (which you will have very little of) and sub-bass

VSSS97

HoldenSS
Reaction score
Nah 6'5 in" front splits will fit fine in a VS if you got speaker pods.if your getting a sub go the same power rating for the back speakers so sound quality is balanced and one side isnt louder or softer or lacking tone quality.If you have splits in the front and component in the back you wont miss this Mid range bass! Then your sub should be enough for the lack of "bass-to-sub" levels.With amps of course!

If your not buying a sub then i recommend 6x9 for the back but good quality ones! But balance the front speakers again with the backs cause you dont wanna drown out the fronts.The bad news if you want great sound you gotta pay great prices!

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
not all 6.5" will fit in VS pods, they often need modifying to fit, especially ones wiht big chunky magnets

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
VSSS97 said:
Nah 6'5 in" front splits will fit fine in a VS if you got speaker pods.if your getting a sub go the same power rating for the back speakers so sound quality is balanced and one side isnt louder or softer or lacking tone quality.If you have splits in the front and component in the back you wont miss this Mid range bass! Then your sub should be enough for the lack of "bass-to-sub" levels.With amps of course!

If your not buying a sub then i recommend 6x9 for the back but good quality ones! But balance the front speakers again with the backs cause you dont wanna drown out the fronts.The bad news if you want great sound you gotta pay great prices!
we were talking about using stock speakers with bass remove via the h/u and just getting a sub and amp pack.
um splits and components are the same, but there is not really any need for splits in the rear in most peoples cars.
also do you mean to say to have your subs power handling the as near to the rear speakers as possible? the efficency is a just as much a key factor as power handling, but either way its definly NOT ideal to have the rears and sub/s matched to each other in terms of power handling.
no need for 6x9's just spend a few grand on a set of 3 way splits with an 8 inch driver. :thumbsup:

Maaate

hows it goin?
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
LOL a few grand aye.... **** you want me to get you some aswell? lol nah, but yeah i am planning on getting a sub but just wanted to put my h/u in and thought i might aswell put some speakers in while ive got it ripped apart yeah? yeah but if i put 69ers in wont i have to mount them up or cut apart the back abit? didnt really wanna do that thats why i was just thinking 6ers, but i dont want it to sound **** ya know....