Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS speed sensor loction and test

trucker273

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
Could someone tell me exactly where the speed sensor on a 99 Vs c0mmodore ute Auto is . Plus if I was to put the ute on axle stands is there any tests with a multimeter I could do to check if the sensor is going. at the moment the speedo wont go and I have dismantled and replaced the two sun cogs and check with a multimeter to make sure I have continuity from plug to where it connects to back of speedo no probs there. any help would be appreciated thankyou

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Pretty sure the auto uses a reluctor wheel on the end of the output shaft if I remember correctly......

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
"For Automatic Transmissions. The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) for the automatic transmission is located on the transmission extension housing and is accessible from the right side of the vehicle.The vehicle speed sensor contains a coil that has continuous magnetic field. A voltage signal is induced in the vehicle speed sensor by teeth on the output shaft that rotate past the sensor and break the magnetic field. Each break in the field sends an electrical pulse to the PCM. This voltage output will vary with transmission output shaft speed from a minimum of 0.5 volts AC at 100 RPM to more than 100 volts AC at 8000 RPM with no load on the circuit on the vehicle, with the engine at 4,000 RPM in fourth gear the voltage will be approximately 25 Volts AC.The PCM uses speed information from this sensor to determine the following:
. Vehicle speed.
. Control shift points.
. Calculate transmission slip.
. Engine fueling modes.

Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) 24 will set if a fault exists in the vehicle speed sensor circuit while the vehicle is not moving. As the vehicle is accelerated, the PCM shifts the transmission to second gear at approximately 50 km/h. If the vehicle speed signal is still not present while in second gear, DTC 24 is set, the transmission will have maximum line pressure, 2nd gear only and have no TCC and a default value will be substituted by the PCM.

DTC 72 will set if there is an intermittent failure in the VSS circuit while the vehicle is moving. As long as the fault remains and the Diagnostic Trouble Code 72 is set, the PCM will have maximum line pressure and 3rd gear only. If the fault is removed, normal operation will resume after the next ignition cycle."