Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS spitting soot

Jimmy2228

Jimmy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Ute 5spd
I have a similar problem, my back end of the car is always covered in black soot and im getting terrible fuel economy (about 300km to the tank in a manual driving like a grandma). Error codes are all fine, whats the next step as i take it its using an over rich fuel mixture??

aceventura

Doesn't drive like this
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda 6
Mine does the same, and all my sensors are in good order as far as I can tell (O2 and CT sensor both new, no error codes, good economy). In another thread, it was suggested that it can be caused by a larger exhaust.

I don't know whether it is correct, but the chrome tip on my exhaust was always clean until I needed to replace the exhaust - I put a sports exhaust and the chrome tip is always dirty and the back of the car is covered in soot. Whenever this exhaust packs it in I'll got back to a standard.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...7/77684-another-vs-fuel-ignition-problem.html

How many of you that are having problems have a 2.5" exhaust or bigger?

Last edited:

harro_VR

Boosted VR
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr Berlina turbo, VZ SS
yeah i got a 2.5" Exhaust and it spits a fair bit of soot.

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
It didnt used to do it though, and it's had this setup for 6 months. Coolant sensors are pretty cheap yeah? I'll change that and if no luck i'll chuck in a highflow cat when funds permit and report back.

aceventura

Doesn't drive like this
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda 6
Genuine CTS used to be cheap - no more (over $100). Get an aftermarket one if you can, or you might be able to pick up a genuine one at an auto electrician (like I did).

I interested to know the cause of the soot - please do post again after you fit the high flow cat.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I wonder if the soot would be caused by ethanol in the fuel? ....ethanol absorbs water and more water in the fuel means more water out the exhaust picking up soot.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
are all you guys with soot problems running pod filters by any chance.