Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS SS headlights dim whilst driving

paulforaname

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
hi all, i need help as i dont want to buy a new alternator if not required, lately when driving with lights on ( not high beams) the headlights dim and then will regain full brightness and then dim again, i have noticed its intermittent. also i dont know if this helps but the battery light also appears intermittently aswell. the battery is new and i never have issues starting the car. Any ideas??

seraphic06

Woodgrain Nut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina Wagon, VS Caprice Series II 5.0
Check the connector at the back of the alternator to make sure it isn't loose or has burnt (common fault). Failing that, it's a new alternator.

canabl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR/II 5L UTE
i had the same thing with mine, changed regulator and checked alternator, turned out to be the connector at the battery for the fusable link had become coroded and was hardly connecting.
This cable comes from the rear of the alternator to moniter the charge level, seeing as though it had no connection, the alternator thought the battery was charged and stopped working, then 2 minutes down the road my car would stall and id be pushing it out of harms way.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You can remove the brush pack from the rear of the alternator (2 screws) and check if the brushes are worn down - they cost less than $50 including the regulator....a lot cheaper than a new alternator. Worn brushes can cause the alternator to charge sometimes and when the worn brushes lose contact you get no charge...lights dim and the red charge light comes on. I'd get on to it soon before you start having battery problems with the cold weather coming.
Good Luck.