Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs ss or vt ss or somthing else that is the question

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
Im looking at getting a new car i want a v8 manual.

from looking around a bit for cars in my budget (up to 18k) i can get a gen3 vt 6 speed for around the same price as a vs 5.0 5 speed.

The only things i must have are a low k's v8 and it must be manual

can any one tell me the pros and cons either way or if they have another idea please let me know.

atm im leaning towards the vt ss as they have the ls1, 6 speed box and a much nicer interior (wich also seems roomier)

cheers
Adam

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Vt is newer so why not go for it?? also High possibility that it will have lower k's than the VS. Plus its got a gen 3!!

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Probably the vt for me too altho i do like the old 5 litre but the vt's look better imo.

ssmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss thunder
id go the gen 3 mate more power!!
personal im not a huge fan of the vt shape but i do agree with the interior being so much nicer

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I'd suggest looking at cars for sale on ls1 . com .au, they are generally sold with zorst, tune etc so it saves you 3-4k on performance mods.

I wouldnt go anything less than a VT SS Series 2.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
personally id go with the vs, only cos i like the 5.0's sound better

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
For up to $18K you could easily pick up a VS HSV clubsport in a manual. There's a few on carsales and carpoint for around $13K - $18K. Some have K's around the 130,000 mark. Or there's a few Senators with a stroked 5.7 215kw for a similar price but I think they're only autos.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but does an LS1 have to run on Premium 95 or 98 petrol? The old 304's didn't.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
For up to $18K you could easily pick up a VS HSV clubsport in a manual. There's a few on carsales and carpoint for around $13K - $18K. Some have K's around the 130,000 mark. Or there's a few Senators with a stroked 5.7 215kw for a similar price but I think they're only autos.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but does an LS1 have to run on Premium 95 or 98 petrol? The old 304's didn't.

No they don't need to be. I wouldn't waste your time on a 5.0 litre unless you purely want to buy a car for sound only. For 18k you could see yourself in a VX SS. Or you could buy a bog stock Series 2 VT SS have zorst and tune done and watch the 5.0 litres eat your fumes ;)