Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS SS revs jump up and down while cruising

Rayzor24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
I own a 95 VS SS, auto, mild cam, chipped, and it seems to have developed a major issue. The problem is evident at low speeds, but most noticeable at 110k's. It will be sitting around 2100rpm, then suddenly the revs will jump up and down, anywhere between about 1000rpm and 3800rpm is not uncommon. Can feel and hear it, as well as watching the tacho. Have had car at different mechanics, no errors are being read but the guys don't want to start pulling it apart and then charging me for something that might not fix it. The other thing is, the problem can sometimes be intermittent - it will work perfect then out of nowhere it will play up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
its the torque converter in the trans. unlocking and locking up i reckon

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
With the revs going from 1000 to 3800 it would have to be slipping really bad. First thing I'd do is check the transmission fluid level and then do a service on the auto. If the fluid is burnt you may be up for a new trans. Could also be a damaged filter in the auto allowing air to be sucked up by the oil pump but a low fluid level would cause the same problem.

Rayzor24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
Should mention that it mainly jumps from about 2100 down to bout 1700, then up to bout 2500, the other numbers mentioned were just the top and bottom ranges that i have seen it jump to. Thanks for the help guys, will be getting on to it this week

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Should mention that it mainly jumps from about 2100 down to bout 1700, then up to bout 2500, the other numbers mentioned were just the top and bottom ranges that i have seen it jump to. Thanks for the help guys, will be getting on to it this week

In that case it probably is the TCC as VS11Berlinal67 suggests although normally the difference in revs is about 100-200rpm each way so if cruising at 100kph and 1900rpm the TCC drops out revs rise to 2100rpm (higher if you move the pedal)

95vs ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vs ss commodore
ive just had the same probim with my 95 ss but dident catch on to it soon enouf wose doing it couse had no trans fluid now its sliping like crazy even after i topd it up now i gota get new trans i think

95vs ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vs ss commodore
would love to covert but a replacemints far cheeper i just dont knw what trans i need being that its a 95 vs ss i cant put a 94 or 95 vr trans in it and i also cant put a 96 or 97 vs trans in it eather but i can not find a 95 trans eney where only 94 96 and 97 ones

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
why cant you put those transmissions in there?

why not get a price for a rebuild of yours?

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
For what its worth i beleive the trans are mostly identicle. Its more to do with the wiring to the solinoids, clutch lockup ect.. If you can find what the differences in the transmissions are then you could work out what you have to do for a conversion using bit for ur current trans. Its been done plenty of times, im sure ive seen the same questions here before on what to do with the transmissions and i dont beleive its alot. But im kinda speaking out of my element cause ive never had an auto to play with, best off someone else confirms all of this, just an option for you to explore.

Some info here ---> http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...997/150226-can-i-replace-5hbd-7hbd-vs-ss.html

Last edited: