Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS SS SERIES3 UTE

claydog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE COMMODORE SSV
Hi Everybody,
We all know these were produced in 98 and 99 in limited run of 300 models for each year. Different motors VS for 98 and VT roller cam for 99, Both Manual and auto in 98 models (But only Autos in 99 models I believe) ??
So my question is how do I find out how many manual 98 models were built? I've done heaps of searching on the net but these are very much understated and very rare specification utes that seem to have a mystery surrounding them due to the lack of information available on them.
Cheers in advance for any help.
Craig.

Ramesses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs ss ute
I've got a manual 98 and a friend had a manual 99. Hope someone has information on the manual and auto numbers.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Can’t tell you production numbers but definitely more than 300 produced in each year.

There’s not much to them, but what are you wanting to know? The roller cam engines were the same between vs and vt with the exception of camshaft (195 is slightly different cam denoted by Vn prefix) and inlet manifolds (different between vs and vt. VP prefix is the 220i

Last edited:

claydog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE COMMODORE SSV
OK, I have just purchased one of these SS utes, had VIN verified by Holden as a genuine 98 VS SS UTE But the engine prefix is VU and holden tells me the original engine prefix for 98 models was VH and the plate says LB9 ?
It is also a 5 speed manual M35 which I believe is the Getrag 5 speed ?
Pretty sure the diff/centre has been changed as it runs 3.45 gears ?
I would have thought original ratio would have been 3.08
All the other bits stickers, wheels, seats, dash, etc are in the right place for a SS.
Once again any help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Craig.

claydog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE COMMODORE SSV
I've got a manual 98 and a friend had a manual 99. Hope someone has information on the manual and auto numbers.
My Uncle bought one new in 99 and dealer told him he could only buy autos in that year model.
These cars are sort of vauge on facts about them that's for sure.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Only post November 1998 vs s3 had the roller engine. Non roller blocks were all VU prefix. VH prefix is the V6. So yours will be an early 1998 build. Lb9 does denote v8 so sounds like whoever you spoke to was a little confused.

I’ve got a 1999 vs s3 here atm with roller cam engine, auto etc. I’ve seen manual (getrag) 1999/2000 roller cam utes for sale before - so I’d almost guarantee the dealer didn’t know what they were talking about.

The rest of the car is essentially the same as earlier vs models. Biggest difference is the maf based engine loom/pcm. And to swap the engine management from an s3 to an s1 for example is just a matter of unplugging and swapping looms. The body/dash loom is the same between earlier and s3 models.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
There were 99 model getrags just not many optioned for vs..more common when vt 5 litre come out.

Mate had late 98 or early 99 ute tagged s3 auto supposedly with roller cam/vt heads yet map sensor...couple years later I wrecked out 99 vs s3 ute with 195i/getrag

Yes they were factory 3.08 geared.

The utes were looked at as leftovers holden were trying to get rid to bring in vu model.

claydog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE COMMODORE SSV
Cheers Guys,
it's starting to all make sense now so it very well could be all original except for the diff.
Hmmmm I'm liking leftovers more and more.

Polky304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute 5L 5spd
G'day Fellas,

I'm just wondering if anyone can provide me with a spec or measurement for mounting a factory SS rollbar please? And also is the front section secured with threaded riv-nuts?

Cheers
IMG_1703.JPG

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Cheers Guys,
it's starting to all make sense now so it very well could be all original except for the diff.
Hmmmm I'm liking leftovers more and more.
What code does your tag have next to AXLE? GM3 was 3.45 and GU4 3.08