Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs ss start promblems

drgt74

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss 5.0l
hey everyone new to this forum 1st post hope you all may be able to help.ive got an auto vs ss and for some reason its not starting.parked o/nite now wont start.has fuel and nrma came ,no go.couldnt start it.reckons not the ign module or starter.he says fuel pump,dizzy?the batt fine,it has spark,has cut out while driving a couple of times in the last month or two,so i checked error codes and gave me 12(ok),31 theft deterent signal missing and 46 no reference while cranking.is error 46 the crank angle sensor?would that cause it to not start or only stall once running?and what bout 31?is that an immobilliser/key issue or a false reading from something else.i read you may get a false 31 error from somewere else?not sure,confused.havent checked codes since ive had the car for a year so are they still current codes?any help is appreciated.and good to be in the forum.
go the ss:bang:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
At a guess I'd say it's the Hall Effect sensor in the distributor - this does the same thing as the CAS in the V6. It could also be the coil or the ignition module. Clear all old codes by disconnecting the battery for 30 secs then check again for codes.
Also check the key is making good contact with the key reader ring which is the ring thing around the ignition keyhole. Hope this helps.
And welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I'd say it's your ignition module. Mine gave some warnings similar to yours before it failed altogether.