Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS SS Supercharged V8 T5 or T56?????

Epic_Holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
72 hq 350 Chev and Peter Brock Vl
Hey guys

I've seen this question asked hundreds of times, but couldn't find the right answer for me.

I have a VS ss with a supercharged 304 unsure the power but it is currently auto. I want it manual.....

I have found a guy that will do the conversion with a T5 with a exedy clutch chrome moly flywheel and the rest standard parts for 3500$ this will not require me to get it certified. But the guys that built the car say ill blow the gearbox up to easily. They recommend the T56 but I can't even find a gearbox for less than 3 in New Zealand. Let alone the different gear ill need to make it work also I would need to get it certified.

I'm probly going to go with the T5 only because I have the money already and it's burning a hole in my pocket. Exactly how weak are these gearboxes? I'm not going to race the car, maybe now and again at the lights but not drag race or anything like that. Would it handle not been thrashed?

If I do blow the gearboxes to easy what would I have to change to fit a T56 if it already had the T5 in it? Bellhousing/dif/driveshaft etc??

Cheers

Jayden

LowVp

VP Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 3.8T T56
i've blown 3 t5's with 290rwhp all in 3rd gear and am now putting in a t56. from a t5 to t56 about all you can keep is your flywheel and pressure plate and the back half of your tailshaft and you will have to convert to a hydraulic pedal box.

my conversion has cost about 3700 but i had to sacrifice a few things