Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS ss tuning options and performance gains?

jbaz01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ss
Hey guys, looking at buying a VS ss which is a one owner car sight unseen. Anything too ask or look out for and also what are some good tuning options which will give similar power to a VP gts or cluby? Are the 5.0 tuner friendly and can I get some good power out of it or am I wasting my time?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Tuner friendly, not so much. For basic bolt ons and really low level/common mods there's good support from mail order tuners, but dyno tuners for Delco are getting thin on the ground. In Sydney I know there's SAS and Ace Performance Tuning.

What's your definition of good power? 5L really aren't a good motor for power without spending a decent amount of coin. They're also terribly inefficient, expect to be chewing around 18-20L/100 when you get to around 180kw ATW. To get power to the VP GTS spec motor should be fairly achievable though, some sources say it came with a different cam so factor that in.

jbaz01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ss
Cheers for the help! This makes my decision a bit tough. Overall do you know if their good/fun cars to drive. I’m only used to 4 cylinders and my current VK is a carbi v8 which hasn’t been tuned or maintained in about 11 years.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Overall do you know if their good/fun cars to drive.

I dailyed my VS 5 litre for 19 years.....yes, the 5.0 is fun to drive.....and the sound.....mmmmm.

Lots to look for in a car of that age. Aside from all the usual checks for any second hand car, specific issues could be:
  • rust around the boot lid seal, the boot lid itself below the tail lights, the spare wheel well and the boot floor in general. (They are known to leak around the rear 1/4 windows and the tail lights in the boot lid);
  • Front and rear suspension bushes, esp rear control arms and sway bar link rods;
  • Engine oil leaks. Rear main seal is an engne out job.

Last edited:

jbaz01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ss
I dailyed my VS 5 litre for 19 years.....yes, the 5.0 is fun to drive.....and the sound.....mmmmm.

Lots to look for in a car of that age. Aside from all the usual checks for any second hand car, specific issues could be:
  • rust around the boot lid seal, the boot lid itself below the tail lights, the spare wheel well and the boot floor in general. (They are known to leak around the rear 1/4 windows and the tail lights in the boot lid);
  • Front and rear suspension bushes, esp rear control arms and sway bar link rods;
  • Engine oil leaks. Rear main seal is an engne out job.
Thanks for that man. Any pre made exhaust options you know of. Do you have an exhaust on yours or is it just a custom job ie cat removed or resonators removed etc?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Imo it’s not worth spending the money to have it tuned unless you’ve upped the compression and fitted an aftermarket camshaft. You won’t really notice a difference in power. Auto trans shift points are where you notice the difference but I don’t think it’s a good bang for buck mod.

As for the exhaust, a red back 2.5” catback system sounds decent and flows enough for a near stock 304 and they’re still cheap.

jbaz01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ss
Imo it’s not worth spending the money to have it tuned unless you’ve upped the compression and fitted an aftermarket camshaft. You won’t really notice a difference in power. Auto trans shift points are where you notice the difference but I don’t think it’s a good bang for buck mod.

As for the exhaust, a red back 2.5” catback system sounds decent and flows enough for a near stock 304 and they’re still cheap.
Thanks for the help! I definitely look into the exhaust. I think if I go for more power I would be changing the cam however I might just do wheels and an exhaust as the car is a one owner original car. Don’t want to molest it. Thing still has the original radio

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Thanks for that man. Any pre made exhaust options you know of. Do you have an exhaust on yours or is it just a custom job ie cat removed or resonators removed etc?

Mine was stock headers and cat with single 2.5" pipe, centre muffler and rear resonator. Put together by the exhaust shop rather than an off the shelf kit, so custom I suppose.

When I had the exhaust done it was on the basis of "wanting everyone to know I had a V8 but not wanting to sound like I was 18".

I also fitted a Mace CAI which gave it a nice induction roar under firm acceleration.

This might give you a bit of an idea at idle - recommend headphones -

jbaz01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ss
Keen for pics of this.
Just need to sell my VK it’s an absolute bastard. Also I’m on my Ps and I’m only 17 but I don’t want a “I’m a p plater look at me” type of v8 sound. I want the car to stay clean and I want people to appreciate a tastefully modified Aussie car. That’s why I’m just going for a clean set of wheels and an exhaust.