Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS SS Upgrading brake system

DEE SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 1997 series 2
Hi

I have been looking at upgrading to vy/vz/ve ss front discs as they are larger in diameter. will the mcpherson strut bolt straight up to a vs or are they a different bolt pattern on the strut tower? Has anybody else taken out this mod? If the bolt patter is different how would i upgrade the disc size? and would the booster be bigger on a vz ?

Thanks any info will be appreciated

Last edited:

lein

Comrade Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC 202/4sp
Hey DEE SS,

I was just looking at the Disc Brakes Australia (DBA) web site and I have a few ideas for you.

VS Series STD-- F: 289x23 R: 279x10.7
VZ Series STD-- F: 296x28 R: 286x16

VS Upgrade OPT-- F: 296x28
VS Clubsport-- F:328x28 R:280x20
VS GTS-R-- F:328x28 R:280x20

These are just the front and rear disc sizes straight from the DBA online catalogue. But I was thinking you might be able to get a straight bolt up bigger disc like the Optional Brake package offered by Holden or even HSV that would save some stuffing around.

The way I was thinking was find out if the Holden Optional braking package came with bigger callipers (if not you might only need new pads in yours). Otherwise new callipers or possible a set of VZ might fit as the VZ discs are the same dimensions... Just some food for thought.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
see if you can grab firstly some pics of a vy/vz hub discs setup, all below the 2 bolt holes that bolt to the bottom of the strut. Top part of strut mount is different.
i cant see (pending lower control arm setup) any difference in swapping the complete hub assembly from a vz and bolting it up to a vs. would negate the need for shims spaces, blah blah.. you may need custom length brake hoses..

i have done the hsv big brake upgrade on my vs, my god its the best pedal feel and u do stop on a dime, but at ~$400 a set of front rotors compaired to standard (non hsv) ~$80 go the vt-vz conversion, just replace your brake lines at the same time.

DEE SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 1997 series 2
Hey guys, Thanks for the help and info, i am checking out the options through DBA and i think i will go with the clubsport upgrade shortly. ill keep yous updated on how it goes.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
lets us know what it ended up costing?
Hey guys, Thanks for the help and info, i am checking out the options through DBA and i think i will go with the clubsport upgrade shortly. ill keep yous updated on how it goes.

and some pic if poss? cheeeers