Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS SS wont start after been driven for 30 mins

paulforaname

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
Hi all, jut have problem with my VS SS, about 4 weeks ago drove home from work and stopped at shops and then wouldnt start, sound like no fuel getting through, keep turning over but wouldnt fire, then after 20-30 mins started like normal, happened again few times but last week cut out while driving , i think when revs dropped and wouldnt start for 30 mins again, had fuel pump changed and no different, could it be intermittent elec fault between f/p relay and fuel pump??

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
I'd go with the crank angle sensor, try pouring water on it the next time it stalls and see if it starts, if it does that's the problem (the water makes the plastic contract) and it's a $50 part to fix

paulforaname

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
I'd go with the crank angle sensor, try pouring water on it the next time it stalls and see if it starts, if it does that's the problem (the water makes the plastic contract) and it's a $50 part to fix

can you let me know the CAS is on a 5L as thought built into disbributor?( sorry i'm a bass player)

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
dont really see alot of problems with the crank sensor.... usually the DFI module stops, its on the passenger side strut tower and are about $140 exchange with ACA

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
There is no CAS on the V8 - the ignition module and/or the coil give similar problems to the original post. Do a search on this forum as this has been gone over a few times.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
theres a hall affect sensor in th dizzy... but its hard to explain to people who know it as a CAS...

paulforaname

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
thanks guys as had me stumped, thought maybe fuel problem i.e lack of it which made me think fuel pump, what does DFI module, sorry DFI stand for ??, and where exactly is the coil pack ?? i thought it might be fuel related as had LPG fitted last December..

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
direct fire ignition i rekon... the coil is located at the back of the passenger side head

the DFI controls the fuel pump pulse aswell, so when they fail the fuel pump is usually not operating aswell

paulforaname

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
thanks heaps Peanuts, why would it then restart? and as mentioned stalling ( i think only when slowing down, lights , driveways) when DFI stuffed, then to work later? is there anything i can do to speed up time it takes to restart? cheers and opinions please...

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
could also be the coil over heating, and starting when it cools down, BUT the coil should of been replaced when the LPG conversion was done, most installs say the coil must be replaced, so if your coil was replaced, then swap it with another DFI module and see how it goes