Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs stalling??? and water pump shim??

cheekybabe85

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore exec v6 & statesman wh v6sc
gday all! i have a vs commodore just bought about a week ago fixed a few things more to do with cooling system everything fine with that but recently my car has been like stalling on me like today goin up a slight hill accerlerating then bang cuts out and i cant start her for a bit, the other times where when pulling into my driveway slight downhill and twice just waiting at a set of lights. thought might be fuel related but i have no idea???

also one of the things i replaced was the water pump and apparently had to install a shim that came with it but since doing that there is a noise coming from that area whether i didnt put the shimmy on right or belt not tight enough wouldnt have a clue.

any info much appreciated!

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
shim is only used if you have a shim there already if there wasnt a shim there dont put it on

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
When you buy a water pump you need to give the engine number.
That is at Holden, don`t know about aftermarket.
I work for a dealer and they always ask for engine number.
As hako said there are 2 different types of waterpump for VS series

cheekybabe85

Reaction score
Members Ride
there was no shim on the old one but with the new pump came with instructions asking which pulley i had showing pics and i have the one that meant to have the shim and if i dont use shim im voiding my warranty. thats what had me stumped and they say its used for centering pulley. so?? it was just meant to be simple

cheekybabe85

Reaction score
Members Ride
when i first rang autobarn the guy asked me for my engine number but when i got there they said they didnt need to worry about the engine number and just gave me a water pump so that had me wondering.

i'll be trying the fault code thing see what happens.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd take the car back to Autobarn - tell them your problem and ask for their advice and mention the car is just outside to have a look. Also mention they said you did not need the engine number (which you offered). You should find them helpful as they are in the business of making happy customers. From your description I'd say the serpentine belt is misaligned (some pumps need the shim to align the pulley) and making a noise which, if left un-attended could cause the belt to fail....so my advice FWIW is to take it back and ask their advice.
Good luck and play it cool.

cheekybabe85

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok well today i asked autobarn and they said they have a universal water pump and thats why there is a shim and they also told me to put the shim at the front of the pulley(opposite from what the other guy told me the other day when i first did it) and now i have done that and i have no noise at the moment.

i did the paper clip trick and only got 12 no other codes so still dont get why its still stalling.