Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS stalls immediately when you start it (SOLVED)

tavrin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 L67
Hey guys,

Lately I have been having an issue with my car instantly stalling when you go to start it. It was initially a random problem, but it became so bad it did it every single time.
If you just leaned on the throttle just a touch when starting it, it would start no worries.

I had a bit of time on my hands last night so I thought I would investigate and share my solution with you guys.

I suspected either the injectors were leaking / fuel pressure reg leaking or the IAC was dead; so this is what I did:

To check and see if injectors are leaking, you 'should' use a fuel pressure gauge plumbed into your fuel lines and leave it sitting for a little while. If it bleeds off pressure, then you know that fuel is being bled off somewhere.

But because I was lazy, I did this instead. Turned key onto ignition on (Don't start the car), shorted fuel pump relay (To keep pump flowing and fuel rail pressure up) and disconnected the injector connectors. After waiting for about 5 mins, I opened the throttle up to ~1/3 and attempted to start the car.

At this point, if the injectors were dribbling / leaking, the engine would have fired on at least 1 cylinder. But surprisingly it just turned over freely.

From here I knew it was something to do with the IAC... So I went to pull it out. Thats when I noticed that the contacts were fairly corroded.... Tried cleaning the connector but it looked too far gone, so I snipped another socket of a spare loom floating around in the back yard and replaced my old one.

Heres a pic of the connector after cleaning (Notice how the bottom 2 are discoloured)

IMAG0334.jpg

I also cleaned the IAC terminals with some carby cleaner and they came out nice and shiny.

Turned it over and it instantly started, no stalling.

Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
Is this for VS models only?
Is this for V6 or V8....or both?

tavrin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 L67
Should technically work for any V6, for V8 i'm not 100% sure.
Worth checking nonetheless.