Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS stalls when breaking

finch21

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Commodore Ute
Can anyone help me i have a 96 vs ute and it stalls whenever i have to brake hard but only when the tank is above 3/4s full, Ive been reading up and from what ive read sounds like it might be a vacuum leak. it also has very poor fuel consumption only get 320kms out of each tank

Has anyone else had this problem before

Cheers

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
try cleaning the IAC valve and port.
Does it idle smoothly ? If its a vacuum leak it should not matter what the fuel level is, unless it is the fuel pressure regulator. Check the vacuum hose on the regulator for leaking fuel - indicating its stuffed.

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
How'd you go with this one? My car is doing similar stuff on some occasions except it only almost stalls! I was think on the same lines, vacuum leak or fuel pressure regulator maybe.

brewerboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III Ute V8
I had an auto V6 VP that started doing this. When i braked the engine would cut out and it ended up being a fualty throttly bedy position sensor.

The engine management light came on on the dash the the holden computer spat out the code that pointed to the culprit.

dont know if this helps of not

cheers

clubby_you

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs clubsport
sound like a brake booster leak to me

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
Is there an easy way to check for vacuum leaks / brake booster leaks?

clubby_you

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs clubsport
1*
start the car and put your head under the dash and put your hand on the brake pedal can you hear a sucking noise ..?

2*
start the car put your foot on the brake and turn the car off does the brake pedal start coming up even tho your pushing on it if the booster is ok should be able to hold vacuum for at leasr an hour so if it come up quickly it's stuffed

3*
sparay some carby clean around the engine bay like at all the vacuam lines and around the inlet manifold see if the idle speed changes when you do

cheers doug

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
cool thanks for that! i'll give it a go!

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
Checked brake booster all sweet, and couldn't find any vacuum leaks. I have also driven around with the IAC valve unplugged and still does it so it aint the problem either. I have also had fuel pressure and flow tested recently and that was good. Put the multimeter on the TPS and the voltage went up smoothly, so i'm guessing its ok too.

Are there any other things I should check because its kind of got me stumped! Is there anything else I should do before I take the car to a mechanic?

Cheers

MADVRSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ss
hey just take your fuse out of your brake lightes see if that chages any thing, it might be pulling voltage from the ecu ,,,, worth a try